9| Cousins

I stepped out of the shower and immediately the hot air from outside hit me. It was a stifling hot day today in Manchester, quite a rare thing. But even with all my windows open as well as my balcony doors, I could still feel the heat suffocating me.

I walked into my room and stood in front of my wardrobe, peering in at all the clothes that hung on the racks inside. I didn't own many clothes, but the things I did own were items I had had for a few years and counting. There was no doubt that they would still fit me, so I kept them. I wasn't one to shop for clothes anyway.

My eye caught the dark blue sweater my mum brought me and I almost shuddered at being in this heat with it on. I scanned the contents of my wardrobe, searching for something loose and cool, and found a white cotton dress that had thick straps by the shoulders and ended mid thigh. At the bottom of the dress it was cut out into floral patterns and I instantly put it on, feeling the coolness of it.

I remembered this dress from a few years back. My aunty had gotten it for me for my 15th birthday and I had worn it to the family beach trip. Of course, that year was one of my most horrible years, but I remembered the beach trip well. I remembered how my uncle got pushed into the water by my cousin, Jane, and how everyone laughed, even me. And I remembered how my older cousin, Sean, picked me up over his shoulder and ran down the beach with me and I remembered how we all had a water gun fight. And I remembered smiling lots that day and laughing a little too.

And today I was feeling excited as I was seeing my cousins again.

My cousins were really special people to me. They were the only people I loved insanely. I didn't know why, but whenever I was with them the best memories were made. I had four in total, all belonging to my mum's older sister. There was Sean, who was 20. Jane, who was 11. Ford, who was 15 and Ethan who was 2. I got along well with all of them but I was closest with Ford and Jane.

Even in my horrible state that I was in for the past few years, my cousins would always somehow bring me out of it without even trying. It was just the way they talked and they way they acted and did things that made me happy all of a sudden and I couldn't picture life without them. So, when mum informed me yesterday that they'd be coming over, I was more than excited.

I heard the doorbell ring and my stomach did a little flip as I hurriedly applied my make up and fixed my hair. I heard mum and my Aunt Tasha talk excitedly from downstairs and without being able to handle it any longer, I raced downstairs.

"It's so nice to see you all. Ah! Here's Heather!" Mum said, turning to me as I went to go stand beside her. I glanced around at everyone by the door. Ford was leaning against the door frame wearing his signature dark shorts, beanie and band shirt. His hair was falling over his face and he looked up at me and grinned. I smiled back. I then looked at Jane standing beside him. She was talking to my mum about a school project, dressed in a loose yellow floral dress. Then there was my Aunt Tasha, holding Ethan above her hip and looking behind her shoulder as Sean came up the driveway, holding a large tray of cookies in his hand.

"Come on in!" Mum called, ushering everyone inside. Phil had gone to work, and I was glad that he had. He just made family get together's awkward.

Aunt Tasha followed mum into the lounge with Jane by her side and Ford moved over to me and nudged me with his hip.

"Hey." He winked.

I turned to him and smiled. "Hey, you. Weren't you wearing that shirt last time?" I laughed.

He looked down then back up at me. "Fuck you." He laughed.

"Hey, Heather!" Sean cried, coming up behind me and wrapping his arms around my neck, pulling me backwards.