16| Surprise Date Night

"So, Harry's a nice lad." Aunt Tasha said to me, several seconds after Harry had left to go use the bathroom.

Everyone else in the room nodded in agreement.

I don't know why, but I blushed.

"I think he likes us." Grandma pointed out. "Do you think he does, Heather?"

"I'm sure he does, grandma." I told her, hoping to god that Harry wasn't standing just around the corner, listening in.

"Are you two a thing?" Jane asked, almost enviously.

"Uh, yeah." I replied, looking around awkwardly.

"Oh! How lovely!" Aunt Tasha cried. "You two seem very happy."

"He's a nice boy." Grandma nodded in agreement. "I think you should hold onto him."

"He's very lovely." Mum added.

I felt my face go redder and redder.

"Hey, why don't we do this whenever I have girlfriends?" Ford interjected.

"You never bring them home!" Aunt Tasha shrieked.

"Yeah, now we know why." Ford muttered.

Tasha rolled her eyes at her son.

"So, how did you meet Harry?" Grandma asked me.

"Um, well, he lives at our old house." I told her. "And I met him there."

Everyone looked confused. "He's living at your old house?" Tasha repeated. "The one you just moved from?"

I nodded.

"Well, isn't that ironic."

Harry suddenly walked in and everyone fell silent and just looked up at him. He looked around the room, suddenly aware of everyone's eyes on him, and smiled awkwardly before looking straight at me.

"Ready to go?" I asked him, standing up.

"Uh, yeah." He nodded.

"Okay, mum?" I asked her. "We're ready to go."

Mum just looked at me then caught my hint. "Oh, okay, sweetheart. Thanks for having us, mum!" She said, standing up to hug grandma.

"Yeah, thanks a lot." I jumped in.

"Thank you." Harry added.

"Thanks for coming, Harry." Tasha beamed.

After what felt like a lot of goodbyes, I managed to drag Harry outside where we stood alone. I sighed. "It's over."

He laughed. "I had fun tonight, thanks for letting me come."

"Are you kidding? Thanks for coming!" I said.

He just looked at me. "You know, you're family aren't that bad. Awkward, but not that bad."

I laughed. "I know. I'm sorry if they made you uncomfortable. But I have to say, you handled it all pretty well."

He pulled me closer and planted a soft kiss on my forehead. "I did it all for you."

I smiled and closed my eyes as I leant my head on his chest. "Thank you for tonight." I said, my mind going back to dinner.

"I knew you could do it." Harry said in almost a whisper.

I smiled. "I'm trying. I just want you to know that."

He lifted my head up and held it delicately before looking straight into my eyes. "I know, Heather. And I just want you to know that I am too. I'm trying to help you."