Chapter 8: Confusion

I couldn't wait next week was my 16th birthday. I already knew my parents were getting me a car. I was so excited. Anyways Justin and I separated as usual walking into the school. I went over to my locker and grabbed my books. It was weird. It was silent. Bre was absent. I was all by myself for two whole periods. Believe it or not I made it to lunch. Everyone else was there though. And I do mean everyone.  Abby sat next to Colton. I couldn't bear to watch so I made my way over to my table. "Hey girl what's up?" Taylor asked me in a surprisingly happy way. "Hey nothing really. It was a little lonely today without Bre." "Yeah I know. Chemistry wasn't the same." I spotted Ali coming over to the table, but the weird thing is Thomas was with her. In public. That was never their thing at school. Ali sat at the table and Thomas followed. "Hey Hail feeling better?" he asked concerned about what happened with Abby and everything. "Yeah I'm fine. Not trying to sound rude but why are you sitting with us today?" "Because Bre isn't here. It's too awkward when she is. Is that okay?" "Of course." Weirdly after he saw Thomas over here, Anthony came over and sat down next to Taylor and kissed her. "Hailey of course you know Anthony my boyfriend." "Hey I didn't know you guys were dating?" I said shockingly. "Yeah were just like Thomas and Ali though we don't like to broadcast it in front of Bre." he said. After about 5 minutes Eric came sat down next to me. I was actually happy. I felt weird with everyone there having someone to talk to even though they included me in most of their conversations. "Hey how are you?" he asked. "I'm um alright." "Doesn't seem it. You're usually always smiling when I look over and you're not eating anything." "I'm not hungry and I'm fine." "Okay well if you ever need to talk call me or come over day or night." "Thank you Eric so much." I hugged him. When I did I looked up and saw Colton giving him the stare. Why would he care? He is taken. Everyone laughed the whole lunch. It was so fun having the guys there. After lunch, Eric walked me to my next class. He was so sweet. "I hear your birthday is coming up"he said smiling. "Yep next friday." I said. "Well I will have a surprise for you. I better get going I usually meet you know who and walk with him to 7th period. Talk to you later. Bye." he walked off. And I got myself through the rest of the day.

When I got home from school, my mom and dad were gone again. They have been gone a lot lately. But I had so much other stuff to worry about I didn't take much notice. I went to go check my phone. I left it home today by accident. 3 new messages. I opened up the first one from Bre.

From:Bre

Hey sorry I wasn't in school today. I felt under the weather this morning. Did I miss much?:)

To:Bre

Nope. We didn't do much in our classes. Lunch was a little different but still fun. I have a lot to tell you tomorrow!

From:Bre

Haha okay!Gtg talk to you tomorrow! Bye

I opened up the second message. It was from Eric.

From:Eric

Heyyy did you make it home okay?:)

To:Eric

Yess I did! I'm probably going to call you later to help me with homework tho:)

From:Eric

Okay:) Anytime!And if you want to talk about other things you are more than welcome to.

To:Eric 

Thanks well talk to you laterr! See ya:)

From:Eric

:D Byeeee <3

I think Eric may have a crush on me. But I wasn't going straight to conclusions because that's what I did with Colton and clearly I was wrong. I opened up the last message.

From:Colton

Hey. Are we okay?You didn't text me last night... :(

I sat there and stood at the message for what felt about 10 minutes. I didn't respond. I couldn't. I was just so confused about everything. I knew I was in love with him. Completely, unconditionally, madly in love with him. But I had to do the right thing and keep my distance. If he was happy with Abby I didn't want to be the reason to break them up. Then it said:

Incoming call: Colton Rudloff

I watched my phone go off until it said 1 missed call. I was so tempted to call him back. But I had to be strong I left my phone on the counter and found the courageousness in me to walk away.