Chapter 13: The News

I woke up to the smell of something burning in the kitchen. I was still at Colton's. I brushed my hair got dressed and walked downstairs to see what he was doing. "Hey princess. Good morning" he said wrapping his muscular arms around my wait kissing my neck. "Good morning. Do I wanna know what you are cooking down here?" He laughed and and spinned me around pressing himself against me. "Oh I was trying to make you breakfast but that didn't go to well. So I just got us McDonald's." We both laughed and sat at the table. After we were finished I walked over and sat on his couch. He followed me over there. I put my head on his shoulder. "Look Hailey I wanted to apologize again for last night. I just got so angry at the thought of you leaving me and was so mad at James and I lost control and I'm so sorry sweetie." "Really Colt don't beat yourself up about it. I'm alive aren't I?" He smiled. "Yes you are. Thank God." He kissed me passionately so I knew he still felt guilty but I layed on his lap and we watched a marathon of Family Guy until noon and he drove me home. "Thank you for letting me stay the night" I said as he walked me up to my front door. "Anytime which reminds me." He pulled a silver key from his pocket. "Here it's yours." "What is it for?" "It's a key to my place. You're welcome anytime princess." "Thank you baby." Just as about Colton was going to leave, James's Lamborghini pulled in my driveway. I saw Colton tense up as soon as he saw him get out of his car walking over to us. "Keep your cool he is just a friend. I am all yours" I said trying to calm him down. "Hey Marie what's up girl?" James said with a smile looking at me and giving me a hug. "This must be your famous boyfriend I hear so much about." "Hey man what's going on I'm James." He put his hand out and Colton shock it putting on a fake smile. "Hey I'm Colton. Nice to meet you." James turned back to me. "I am kind of in a hurry I just wanted to drop this off. You forgot it at my apartment." He handed me my bracelet. "Oh thank you. Where are you off to?" "Your dad asked me to come and work for him even though I'm only here for a week. I have to go. I will call you later. It was really nice to meet you man. You have a good girl right here. Take care of her." "Oh I will. Thank you." Colton said moving closer to me. "See you guys." He drove off. Colton turned to me again. "You went over his house last night?" "Yeah for like 10 minutes while he got changed. "You didn't tell me that." "Well last night you didn't really give me the chance to and I didn't want to bring it up this morning." "Okay. I guess I will allow it once in a while. Now that he met me face to face I feel a little better now." "Good you have nothing to worry about." "See you tomorrow love." He kissed my forehead, went back to his car, and drove away.

I went straight up to my room to check my Facebook. I had a few new messages. I decided to write back to Bre first and tell her about everything. She could not believe it. She said my life could be a TV show. The other one was from Eric asking if I wanted to hang out later. I felt bad saying no since I put him through everything so I agreed to go to the movies with him. We went and saw the new Disney movie Frozen. I had fun, but when I came back I was dead tired. I fell right to sleep.

School was so lonely today. Colton woke up with a cold and I felt awful. My poor baby was sick. I was going to go check on him after school. Eric took full advantage of Colton's absence. He followed me everywhere and sat right next to me at lunch. I didn't mind it was just I wanted me and Eric to just be friends and he was making that really hard because I could since he still had a thing for me. I ignored it though and got through the day.

I pulled up at Colton's house. I was just about to knock, then I remembered he gave me a key. I walked to his room. "Hey sweetie I just wanted to check on you and bring you this soup since I know you can't cook." He laughed. "Thank you baby. I missed you. You can tell he was loosing his voice. He had an awful cough and sounded congested. I took his temp and it was 102.7 degrees. I felt terrible. "No Hail don't kiss me. The last thing I want is for you to get sick too." "Fine if that's what you want." "Of course it's not what I want but your health comes first." I sat in his bed with him while we watched a movie called The Happening with Mark Walhberg in it. Just then I got a text from Justin.

From:Justin

Hailey you have to come home right now. It's important. It's mom.

I suddenly got scared. I knew my mother hasen't been feeling the best for quit some time now. I replied:

To:Justin

On my way. Be there as quick as I can.

"Colt do you need anything. Jusin texted me and said there is something going on with my mom so I have to go." "No I'm fine go see what's up with her and text me later what happened. I love you." On my way out the door I yelled "Love you too." And rushed to my house.

I ran full speed into my house. I saw Justin, my parents, and another man sitting in the living room. He looked to be in his early 40's with glasses and a short beard. "Hello Hailey. I'm Dr. Sandler. Please I think you should sit down. I was terrified. My mother look like she just got done crying and she was very pale. My dad and brother look. Broken. Paralyzed. I sat down on a chair across from Dr. Sandler. "Hailey, as you may know, your mother has been sick for a while. We got some tests back from the lab and unfortunately, they're not good." My heart started to race. "What did the tests say?" "Well there is no easy way to put this. Your mother has a rare disease. It's where your heart doesn't function properly. She needs a transplant. But this late in the disease, if she doesn't find a working heart in the next week or two tops. She won't make it. We will let you guys know as soon as we find a Donner. I am so sorry. I should be going now." I could not believe it. I bursted into tears. My mother hugged me and whispered in my ear, "Hailey, you're my brave little fighter. No matter what happens you have to stay strong." That made me cry even more. About a half hour later, my dad took my mom in her room to rest. James went upstairs to listen to music, still in disbelief. And I went upstairs and called Colton and Bre. I could not even imagine not having a mom. There were no words. But I had to listen to my mom and try my best to stay strong.