Chapter 15: Digging through the past

I was terrified. I have never seen Colton this mad. The night he punched Eric, he called me and said he has to think about some things and take some time. What have I done. Colton meant everything to me. I ruined it. I couldn't lose him, but the way it felt, it seems like I have. He couldn't even bare to be near me. He avoided eye contact with me and school and doesn't answer any of my calls or texts. I felt empty. While I was laying in bed one evening, I remembered something from a while ago about Bre and him. That night Thomas took me out and asked about Ali, and I texted Colton and asked about that he said "She got mad over something she thought she saw." What could that mean? I had to get to the bottom of this.

I went down stairs and grabbed my coat. Justin was sitting on the couch with his friend Jesse playing x box."Where are you going Hail over Colton's?" I heard Justin shout. "No Bre's." "I don't know if I will be back tonight or sleeping over there, so just lock the door I have my key." "Okay have fun and be safe."

I arrived at Bre's and went to knock on the door. "Hey girl it's late! Is everything okay?" Bre said in her Spongebob pajama pants and black cami. "Yeah I know sorry I just wanted to talk to you about something." "Sure come on in."

"So what's on your mind?" she said handing me a cup of tea while we sat at her kitchen table. "Well I know this is a touchy subject but I want to talk about your old relationship with Colton." She took a sip of her tea and looked back up at me. "Well what do you want to know?" "All I want to know is what happened. And don't say nothing big because when I first moved here you talked so bad about him." She sighed. "Okay. It was a long time ago. Colton and I were dating for about 3 or 4 months. Then we had an argument because he got paired up with a cheerleader, Kayla, for a class project instead of me. It's not that I didn't trust him because I did. It was her I didn't trust. Anyways she went over his house to print out pictures for their poster. The thing is he didn't tell that she was over there, Joey did. So I looked through the window in the living room and saw her laying on the floor with him on top of her. And they weren't moving. They were just looking into each other's eyes. I was heart broken. He tried to explain but honestly I didn't want to hear it. So we broke up. The next day it was like we were strangers never to speak again until you came along." "Wow I'm sorry." "It's okay. I hope you know you make him really happy. When we were together he never smiled like he does at you. He never looked at me like the way he looks at you." "Yeah I think I wrecked that all up." "Hailey it's just a fight. You didn't do anything. Eric kissed you." "He's mad that I didn't tell him." "Well I can tell you this sweetie. If he honestly loves you the way I think he does, he will come back." "I hope so. But what if he doesn't?I'm in love with him and I don't think I can see him with another girl." "Well we will just have to let time tell now won't we?" "It's killing me Bre. Waiting. Watching him not even caring he is killing from the inside out." "So what are you going to do about it?" "I don't want to make him do something he doesn't want to do, but I don't want to see him be happy with someone else so I will give him a little more time, but if he doesn't come to a decision soon, I'm moving back to Miami to live with James." "That idiot better come to his senses cause I'm not loosing my best friend." "One month. He has one month." Bre and I talked all night about secretes we never told anyone and I ended up spending the night with her even though we didn't sleep.

When I got home from school the next day, I knew something was wrong. I walked in my house and everyone was there. All my relatives I haven't seen in forever and my dad and Justin. "What's going on?" I asked. " Then my dad came over. "Let's talk up stairs sweetheart." Oh no.

We went into my room and sat on the bed. "Hailey, your mom didn't make it. She passed away earlier this morning. She wanted me to tell you she loves you very much, and for me to give this note to you." I saw the tears filling up in his eyes. "I'm so sorry sweetie." The funeral is tomorrow if you want to bring a few of your friends." He closed the door and I bursted into tears. I layed on my bed and cried into my pillow. I heard my phone go off several times probably from people who found out. I could not even move to get it. I couldn't even get myself to open the letter because I knew this was the last thing my mother would tell me and I didn't think I would be able to handle it. I sat there on my bed. Paralyzed. Alone.Depressed.Silent.

Thank you all so much for reading<3