1: The Past

I woke up with him in my thoughts. I have been doing that for a long time now, but it still hurt. I looked around the dark room that felt like my heart: dark and empty, only filled with worry. I sigh and lay back down trying to think about something else. It wasn't easy. 

For one thing my husband was taken right out from under me. I could have stopped them if I had only tried harder. My mind didn't know this, but my heart did. I sighed and pulled the covers back over my body and slowly fell asleep. 

______ 

My alarm went off telling me I had to get up and put on my mask for work. I groaned and got up and looked in my closet for something to wear. I grabbed an outfit and slipped it on. It was a dull grey top over a white undershirt. The pants were the same color, and I slipped some grey shoes to match. I brushed my long black hair and looked at myself in the mirror. I rubbed some crust off my dull green eyes and looked at my pale skin. I put on a smile and i looked beautiful. I knew he would tell me that and it made me smile even more. 

Stop it, I told myself. Don't live in the past, live right now.  

I walked down the stairs to see Alexis making breakfast. Her black hair was in a braid and her skin was like mine. She was wearing a see throw red shirt with a white undershirt. Her pants were blue jeans and she had on regular tennis shoes. When she turned to look at me I saw that her eyes were the green color when she didn't have her contacts in. Her eyes changed from a light blue to a dull green. Her contacts made her eyes blue. 

"Morning Mom," she said and I smiled at her, and I made myself a cup of tea. 

"Good morning sweetie," I said back and I took a drink of my tea. 

"Hey Mom, can Austin come over?" she asked. "We have to study for a test and I need his help." 

"You don't have to lie to me," I told her with a smile. "He can come over if he wants. But for at least ten minutes I want to hear studying." 

"Thanks Mom," she said hugging me. She placed a plate in front of me, ate her own breakfast and then grabbed her bag. "I have to go or I'll be late!" she called running out the door. I smiled and started to eat my own breakfast. 

I was interrupted by the phone. I answered it know who it was. Once a month they like to call me up and tell me how Patrick was doing. I didn't know if they were telling the truth or not, but at times I didn't care. I looked and saw Patrick's number, the phone they used to call me. 

"Hello?" I asked know that Bill would be over that phone. 

"Hello Missy," Bill told me, and I could see his smug smile. 

"What do you want?" I asked. 

"I want to let you speak with someone. But first, it's been almost two years, right?" 

"Yes, it has been." 

"So why haven't you found him?" 

"Because I have a madman hiding him. That is why." 

"Oh Missy, don't think like that. So I have someone who wants to talk to you." 

"Who would want to-" 

"Hear you go," I heard him say and the phone was passed to another person. I heard breathing like the person was deciding what to say. Who was it? 

"Missy," I heard the person say. I knew the voice. I heard it some many years after we first meant. He was talking to me. They let him talk to me. 

"Patrick," I sighed thinking about him. "Are you okay?" 

"I'm fine," he answered laughing. "Are you?" 

"Of course I am." 

"What about Alexis and Brayson? Are they okay?" 

"They are just has fine. Probably better than I am." 

"That's great. Missy, how are you?" 

"I'm fine Patrick. I promise. I just miss you." 

"I miss you too. I guess I have it worse here than you do there." 

"I bet you do. What are they doing to you?" 

"At first it was hell. They beat me, cut me, stuff like that. Over time they saw that I was used to it and just stopped. I get a few punches here and there, but it's not has bad has it was." 

"Oh Patrick, I'm sorry I can't find you." 

"Don't worry about it Missy. I know that you will find me soon. You just have to keep looking." 

"I love you Patrick. I have to go now." 

"I understand. I love you Missy. With all my heart. See you later." 

"See you later," I sighed and pushed the call end button. I knew that the see you later come from Brayson and when we were both in their hands. I was let free when the CBI come to save us. Bill wanted me to feel the pain of not having the person I love with me anymore, but knowing he was still alive. The others gave up hope that he would be rescued, but I didn't. 

I got up and walked to my car. I was driving to work very upset and very alone. 

This is the last book! So what did you guys think? I hope you like it. I don't have much to say, but I will say this. I hope you guys have loved this series has much has I have loved writing them. I wish I could keep it going, but I can't. I think this book will give Missy and Patrick a nice little goodbye. All I have to say. Peace out my Stars!