Chapter 6

"Thrust! Block! Parry, then thrust. Counter! Backhand. Overcut. Side cut. Backhand overcut." Errol completes each move as he duels with Gilan. He even lands some hits. Thwak! With surprising speed, Errol lunges at Gilan, blocking his cuts and lands a thrust on Gilan's side. Wincing, Gilan steps back. "Stop! I think that can be all. Halt is coming to pick you up in an hour." Also retreating, Errol nods. He is a bit sad at leaving this place, but was also curious at what it would be like.
   Gilan watches the young boy wipe his sweaty brow, and packs the practice sword away. He has improved much, since a month ago. That was quick for a rookie. Especially when he can beat one of the best swordsmen in the country. Gilan has grown fond of the unsmiling kid. He is quick-witted and a good learner.
   Going inside and snatching a package from his bench, Gilan walks up to Errol and hands him the long, slender package. Errol looks at him with surprise. "What's this?" Gilan smiles. "It's a farewell gift. I think you've earned it." His eyes widen. He carefully removes the black cloth from the item and gasps. In his hands, is a sword. It had a black, leather handle, with a silver pommel, and a double-edged blade. The pommel has a cross engraved in it, not unlike the one he'd drawn in the ground three weeks earlier. "I had the castle blacksmith craft this for you. He's one of the best, so this blade is strong and sturdy. Do you like it?" The barest of smiles touches Errol's lips for a split second. "I love it. It's beautiful. I promise I'll take care of it." The next hour, Errol tests his sword, getting used to the feel of it in his hands.
   Before long, Halt comes along. They spend some time chatting. Sending Errol to get some clothes Gilan purchased for him, Halt questions Gilan about what happened in the month. Grim-faced Halt is actually surprised about Errol being superb at the sword. Even some battle students take more than one year to become that good. Errol done that in one month! Gilan describes his nightmares, his being not hungry, him almost committing suicide, and him not smiling. "What's wrong with that?" Asks Halt, at the last bit. Gilan sighs. "I know you do that, but at least you show happiness every now and then. Errol doesn't do that. He has no expression at all!" Someone clears their throat behind them. The two men whirl around to find Errol standing there. "I'm ready." Halt motions to the door. "Go to the horses. We'll meet you outside." When Errol's gone, he turns back to Gilan. "Just wait. Time will hopefully help. We just have to keep him from killing himself."

Sorry, this one is short too. It just seemed like a good place to stop. Hope you enjoy the book. Please comment. :)