Chapter 24

GUESS WHAT! My oldest brother brought the entire Rangers Apprentice series. I have now officially read the entire series including Battle at Hackham. Now, I need to read the Brother Band series since he brought them too. And I'd like to give a big Thank You to Hullo456 for voting and encouraging me. He also gave me some good tips, so thanks! Here's the chapter.

   "Are you sure you want to let me have all the excitement? Any of us can mentor Errol." The three of them are preparing to part ways for a few days. "Yes, I'm sure. You're a younger man. I'm almost ready to retire and leave all the excitement and danger to you. Well, good luck." With that, Halt rides off. Errol bids Will farewell and follows Halt.
   It's been one day since they arrived back from The Gathering. They immediately started preparing to leave. Errol barely even had any time to say bye to Sectar. Halt and Will still actually don't know about the wolf. Errol kept him a secret lest they chase him off.
   They travel for three days before they found sign of a beast.    Errol thinks he would almost vomit from the scene arranged before him.
   Cows lie scattered in a big field, ripped open and torn. There's a big hole in the fence on both sides. The fence is in splinters as if it were mere twigs. The smell of blood and gore overwhelms all within a hundred metres.
   Halt dismounts and studies the ground. Scanning it all the way to the distant forest, he whistles. "Whatever this is, it doesn't care about things getting in it's way. It didn't even stop to eat the cows. Whatever is it's goal, I'd hate to be it. Let's question the farmers." Glad to be away from the massacre, Errol follows Halt to the big, wooden house some metres away. He knocks on the door. It timidly is cracked open. A young woman peeks out. "Can I help you?" Then she sees the cloaks. "Oh! You're rangers, aren't you?" Halt nods. "Yes, ma'am. We are. I've seen that you've had some trouble with a beast." She nods and nervously motions them inside. She's heard about the rangers possibly being sorcerers, but after what happened, she knows that they can help. "Would you like an'ee thing, sirs?" "Coffee, please. If you have any." She quickly puts a kettle on and grinds some coffee beans into it. Finally, she sits down. "What brings you 'ere, Rangers?" "We heard about some sort of horrible beast wrecking havoc wherever it goes." The lady nods enthusiastically. "That 'eez right. Came crashing through 'ere like a storm. Me husband rushed out to see what thee commotion was about and got struck down. Me husband's in bed right now, recovering. You best git that monster." Halt leans forward. "Can you describe the monster for us please?" "Sure. It was thee size of two men width and height. It had horrifying blood-red eyes, and was covered in some sort of scale-like, oily fur. It walked on it's hind legs and looked like a cross between a bear and an ape." Halt pales. "Halt?" Asks Errol. "What is it?" He doesn't answer. Errol feels despair as he watches Halt. Halt never shows this much emotion. If Halt is scared, it's something very bad. Halt absently reaches for the scar on his leg. It's a scar that Halt was told, he'd have for life. Immediately, Errol knows what is wrong. The kalkara have returned.