Chapter 21

Errol studies the sheet of paper. The problem is that some powerful bandits are robbing nobles, then killing them. Somehow, the person in charge of the robberies has gotten hold of some wargals. They have two hundred wargals and fifty men. All you have is an army of 100 spearmen and twenty cavalry. The place is the Solitary Plains, and no where near the forest. Errol thinks for half hour before coming up with something.
  After lunch, Crowley call the apprentices together and asks for them to explain their ideas. Almost all the apprentices came up with the idea to charge in the middle of the night. Bernie's must have been the most interesting of the other apprentices. His was that the men pretend that they're gypsies and they go into the camp, start to entertain the men, then attack.
  "Well, thank you, Bernie, for that interesting tactical plan." Says Crowley as Bernie sits back down. "That was interesting, but I don't think enemies let gypsies in, except to rob them. Next, Errol will come." Errol stands up and grabs a stick. He starts drawing in the dirt. "Alright. The enemy is here, and we are here. In the plains, we have no cover. They can see how many we have and we can see how many they have. The wargals are scared of horses, so we'll have the horses in plain view to frighten them. Battle horses are never calm. The bandits will probably try to steal our food supplies, so we'll let them. We'll put sleeping powder or poison in most of the food. We'll keep the food in the most seemingly protected spot and hide good food for ourselves. We'll put a guard that will pretend to be rebellious. The guard will put up a fuss and sneak away during his watch. Then the bandits will steal the food and have a feast. The next morning, almost all the bandits will be asleep or dead. Hopefully, that would include the leader. If so, we chase the wargals away with the cavalry. If not, we charge them anyway. But the bandits might possibly not steal the food. If that happens, we'll want a plan B. Plan B is that we have the spearmen in front in two ranks. The cavalry stay behind the spearmen and charge the wargals in unexpected times and retreat almost straight away. That will put the wargals on the edge. I will remain hidden, disguised as a soldier. I'll keep my bow hidden. When I see the leader, I shoot him." One of the apprentices puts up his hand. "How do you know they'll have a leader?" Errol raises his eyebrow. "Enemies never agree with each other. Our armies don't agree with each other sometimes, too. There has to be a leader." Bernie points at his diagram. "Your horse symbol look like a fish." Errol hits him with the stick. "Ow!" "Shh! It's just a diagram. It doesn't matter. It doesn't look like a fish anyway." Crowley clears his throat. "Ahem. Well, that was very strategic. Well done, Errol. Nice to know that somebody actually plans." Errol reddens. He quickly sits down. "And not only that, but you stole half my lesson. That was very explanatory." Crowley teaches us a few more tactics. They did combat and navigation. Errol did reasonably well in both. Navigation is one of his weaker points, though. That is all for the day and had more to do the next day.

Yeah, this one is a bit boring. I needed something for a filler. It will get more exciting.