Chapter 25

Sorry about the delay. Had some physical problems for a while. Like kicking a metal stake in bare feet. Ouch. Make sure you look for hard stuff when playing soccer. That was a month ago. It still hurts. Well, anyway, here's the chapter. Enjoy.

   Quit your worrying. He's going to be fine. Halt's with him, remember? Will glances around, then replies to Tug. "I know. Who says I'm worrying?" Tug snorts. Come on. You know what I mean. We're connected. I know your every thought. "Now, there's a creepy thought. I really don't want to think about private stuff,  knowing that you're invading my mind." It's not as if I'll tell anyone. They never listen. But you need someone to give you advice about that stuff. "And just what kind of advice would that be?" Marry Alyss. You and I both know you want to. And so does she. Propose to her at Horace's and Evanlyn's wedding. Properly. It's only next month. Maybe she'll forgive you for your annoying weirdness from the trip home from Nihon Ja. Will quickly pulls Tug to a halt. "Whoa, now. How'd you know about that? You weren't there." Like I said, we're connected. Before Will can answer, smoke from the village of Denva appears before him. This is the place that last experienced trouble with the bandits. Immediately, Will rides over the next crest and sees the damage.
   Smoke is still rising up from several buildings burnt to the ground. Bodies of people and animals litter the ground. As Will continues to look on, anger rises up within him. Some of the corpses are children.
   Movement catches his eye. A young girl, no older than 14, quickly darts back behind a big tree. Will dismounts and cautiously moves towards the tree. "It's alright. I'm not here to hurt you. Rather, I'm here to help you." The girl peeks out. "Yu'r a ranger. Rangers are sorc'rers. I ain't trustin' a sorc'rer." she says with a heavy country accent. Will sighs. "That's not true. I just want to help you. I'm Will Treaty." At that name, the girl freezes. Slowly, she emerges, staring at Will. In the open, Will gets the first proper look at her. Strawberry blonde hair flows around her neck and back in curly waves. Clear, blue-green eyes study him from a freckled, pale face. A ragged brown dress covers her thin body down to the middle of her calves, above bare feet. He also notes that her pale skin is lined with cuts and bruises.
   Abruptly, she backs away with a scared look in her eyes. "I don't need any help. Jus' go on yer way." Will grabs her arm before she can bolt. She screams. Will covers her mouth to prevent the possibility of the bandits hearing. "I just want to bring these bandits and murderers to justice. Can you help me? Please?" Will gives the girl a pleading look. She searches his eyes for a good while. Finally she lowers her eyes. "OK. I'll help. What d'ya want to know, O'Will Trea'ty?" Will leads her over to Tug. "First, you look starved. Have some food and water, then rest for a while." He hands her some flat bread, some dried meat, a flask, and a blanket. She immediately digs in like she hasn't eaten properly in days. Soon, she's fast asleep in the blanket. "Watch her." he tells Tug.  Leaving the two to rest, he inspects the village. He hasn't seen this much carnage for a long time.
   Will counts the people and buildings. He does an analysis and realizes that this is only half of the population of the village. Further inspection shows evidence of people fleeing in the direction of the castle.
   Hmmm... Let's see now... The bandits came from the south... Must be about fifty people, twenty mounted... And.... Will's eyes land on some tracks little further behind the mounted bandits. They're roundish with visible claw marks and clearly from a big, heavy creature. They look familiar, somehow. A picture forms in his mind's eye; a big wolfish, red-eyed creature with a heavy spear raised for the final thrust.
   Will starts. That's impossible! We're done dealing with them! How can it be? But the tracks lying right in front of him do not lie.
   A scream pierces the air. Will takes off in the direction of Tug and the girl, and readies his bow. A peculiar sound reaches Will's ears. Chanting. Wargals.