Chapter 41

“Oh my god! Jade, hey!” He smiles.

“Hey!” I smile back.

“I haven’t seen you for ages it seems! How have you been?” He gushes, he’s so cheery.

“I’m alright, you?”

“Been good. Where’s that blonde guy? Nelson?” He asks and my smile immediately drops. “Niall, um we broke up.” I look away.

“Oh. Well, I’m sorry to hear that.” Yeah, me too Luke. Me too. Addison clears hear throat and I mentally thank her for saving us from this awkward encounter.

“Oh, Luke this is Addison, Addison this is Luke.” I introduce them to each other.

“Nice to meet you.” Luke reaches out and shakes her hand. “Like wise.” Addison smiles. “Do you want to join us?” She asks, nodding her head to our table.

“Um. I don’t know.” He awkwardly scratches the back of his neck, a bad habit of his. He takes a glance at me, seeming to ask if it’s okay.

“Luke, join us.” I smile. “Alright.” He returns the smile. “Awesome! Come on!” Addison grabs us both and pushes us in our seats.

“This is Luke everyone!” I introduce him to the group. “Hi Luke.” Everyone calls. “I’m Harry and this is Belle.” Harry says, nodding to himself and Belle.

“I’m Louis,  Addison’s boyfriend.” Louis says all strong and masculine, he pulls Addi down to her seat. He wraps his arms around her waist and kisses her neck. “Don’t worry mate.” Luke chuckles. Everyone goes back to the conversation that they were previously having while chowing down on their food.

“Do you want to share?” I push m plate between Luke and I but he pushes it back to me.

“No, I’m fine. I didn’t come here to steal your food.” He chuckles.

He has the cutest laugh but it compares nothing to Nialls. “Oh come on. I’m not going to eat it all!” I plead. “Okay, okay. I’ll help you eat it.” He smiles, reaching for a fork across from him.

*** “What sizes?” The lady at the ice skates counter asks. Luke decides to come with me to keep me company, being a third wheel is not appealing to me.

“7 and a 10.”Luke tells her. “Thank you for inviting me.” Luke looks down at me.

“No problem.” I smile grabbing our skates from the lady’s hands. We take a seat on an old metal bench. The rest of the ‘crew’ are already one the ice, leaving Luke and I alone.

“Truth be told, I haven’t skated for a while, so don’t laugh when I fall on my bum.” Luke chuckles lacing up his skates.

“Don’t worry, I haven’t skated my whole life.” A gasp leaves his lips.

“Yes, yes you have! Remember that one time when I took you to the pond? We skated on it.” Luke reminds me.

A light bulb goes off in my head and shortly I start to giggle.“The pond that cracked and you fell through it?”

“Hey. Watch it!” He playfully nudges me.

“Need help?” He asks sweetly when he sees me struggling to tie up my damn laces.

“Yes please!”  As he gets down on his knees in front of me and ties up my skates, I slip on my gloves and my knitted beanie.   Luke grabs my hands and helps me off the bench. I wobble a  little but I soon manage it. Leading the way to the rink, Luke doesn’t let go of my hand, I’m glad he didn’t. I shiver slightly, still trying to get used to the cold.