Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Police Station, Nadir's car… July 26-27

Christine's POV

The next three hours were a blur of confusion and explanation. The police showed up, gathered Michael, William, and the six men, and threw them in cop cars. Erik and I were also taken to the station for questioning. Nadir was taken to the hospital for medical attention to his shoulder.

So, we were driven to the station in silence. When we got there, the Grants and henchmen were handcuffed and shouting for their lawyers.

I could tell Erik was nervous being in such a place. I remembered his past and, feeling like he needed a friend, I put a hand on his shoulder in a comforting gesture. For some reason, he tensed under my touch.

Our questioning took a long time, the two of us not leaving a detail out. I was forced to retell what William did to me. It felt good to get it all out.

We learned some new information, too. It turned out the Grants had more secrets than anyone thought. They also had tens of thousands of dollars worth of drugs hidden throughout the house. That, the entire situation that had just transpired, and my kidnapping and rape would keep them locked away for a very long time.

Finally, and I do mean finally, we were able to leave. It was dark outside. Erik drove, since Nadir was injured and on a high dose of medication. He lay in the back seat and slept. I sat in the passenger's seat beside Erik.

Once we were driving, I sighed and let out a victorious but soft, "Yes!" Then, turning to Erik, I spoke my mind. "I'm so glad it's over."

"I know you are," he replied gently. "I am, as well."

I whispered a soft, "Thank you."

"For what?"

"Without you, we wouldn't have succeeded."

"No, Christine. Without you, we would not have succeeded. You truly saved me. I am eternally grateful."

I smiled and basked in his words. Then, though, I remembered something and gasped.

"Guess what?" I asked nervously.

"What is it?" Erik asked worriedly.

"I still have the gun.. in my pocket." I pulled the small gun out and dropped it on my lap. It scared me.

"Why you do, don't you? I can think of a few times when that could have come in handy." He smirked.

I blushed. "I kind of forgot about it while we were in the house. It's just really small.."

"Yes, it is supposed to be."

"Why?"

"Well, as you know, it is not as noticeable that way."

"Does it still have.. the same effect?"

"To kill others? Yes, it does."

"Oh." We sat in silence again, but I remembered something else. "Erik, your face!"

With one hand, he instantly made sure the piece of black pant from Grant's leg was still in place, and, with the other, he pulled over to the side of the road. With venom in his usually beautiful voice, he asked, "What about my face?"

Of course he would react in such a way! I felt really stupid then. "It's just.. he hurt you, Erik. You've got to be in pain. I mean, he cut you with the blade of a sword. Let me just see how bad it is." I reached towards him, but he shrunk back.