Chapter 10: Eighteen

"Holy smokes!" I cried out as I looked at the date.

It's the 7th of January! It's Louise's birthday and I totally forgot about it. I quickly showered and changed my clothes.

Blue top + white shorts + red flats is my outfit for today.

I asked dad if he could drive me to the mall and he agreed.

"Did you eat breakfast?" he asked.

"No, not yet. I'll just grab a sandwich or something at the sub shop later. Just drive me to the mall!" I nervously panicked.

"Why are you panicking so much?" he asked.

"It doesn't matter, just drive." I smiled.

We were near the parking lot but I asked dad to drop me off right away. I never forget Louise's birthday before! Maybe I was so depressed last night that I completely forgot all about it.

I rummaged through the stores without any idea what I'm going to buy for him. My cellphone rang and I just received a text message from Jane; My asian best friend. She's tall, charming and has freckles on her face, she's not that smart but she's good in advicing people and helping them in their problems. I guess you can say I talk to her all the time because of Louise!

I opened the message and it says,

"Hey, Kris! I need a big favor, can you drop by to school today.. Well, I know you can. I left my math book in my locker and I need you to get it. You're the only one who has the duplicate key because Karen lost hers. It's very urgent and I'm sick right now so please get it for me, I need to study Calculus and fast! Anyway, thank you so so much, just drop it off at my place. Love you! -Jane"

"Okay. No problem. :)" I replied.

Ugh, she knows I can't say no to requests especially from my friends. This is definitely not the time to be walking leisurely like I'm in some kind of park! I gotta buy something then head for school!

I passed a store that sells Haagen Dazs ice cream so I decided to just buy him that. I went in and bought two pints of his favorite mint chocolate ice cream. One for his birthday gift and the other is payment for what I ate last time.

After that, I called dad to pick me up and drop me off to school and he patiently agreed.

It was a long journey then our car suddenly stopped moving, my dad went outside to check on the car and I stayed inside.

"What happened?" I asked.

"The car broke down." he answered.

"Oh no! I need to get Jane's Math book." I told dad.

"I'm sorry honey, the repairman would probably come in a few hours." dad replied sadly.

Hours!? I don't have that much time! It's a good thing that this flying object they call 'car' has a refrigerator in it. I placed the ice cream there and waited. I leaned back on the chair and prayed to God hoping the car would start and that we could go to our destination safely.

It's been 5 straight hours and the repairman came and fixed some stuff under the car. It's 6pm in the evening and I was astonished to see the school entrance still open.

"I thought it closes at 5?" I asked myself.

Well, whatever. I was rushing to get Jane's Math book!

That's the only thing I should be doing right now.