Chapter the First

GUYS the superbowl and the trailer and the eggos and the aggggggh i just like i just no i cant LEGGO MY FUCKING EGGO

(you shoulve seen my snapchats with my other stranger things obsessed friends, it got real)

Third Person

"Do it."

"But-"

"No excuses, just do it. Right here, right now."

"Dustin-"

"Nope."

"Fine, but if I implode, it's on you." And with that El lifted up her hands, eyes concentrating heavily on the seemingly empty surroundings. Slowly, a huge tree, probably too big for the room, floated right side up, landing to the side of the fire place. Next, ornaments and garland and wreaths and more wrapped itself around the house, covering the walls, the tables, the stair bannister. Lastly, a tray of 6 mugs, filled with warm hot chocolate, little marshmallows adorning the top, came floating into the living room, falling right onto the table in the middle of the room.

The kids were all seated in Hopper and El's new house, decorating secretly before he got back and put scorn on the entire holiday. Max and Dustin, having just convinced El to do all the decorating herself, were sitting on a love seat, cuddled into each other but quite obviously uncomfortable. Lucas was seated in a chair across from them, expressing utter sadness while also exchanging tense looks with Max. Max of course would immediately break eye contact when she would see Dustin looking at her suspiciously. Will, Mike, and El were all seated on the couch, El laying her legs over both Mike and Will's body.

Despite any awkwardness or stress following recent events, the kids were all impossibly blissful. It was christmas of their senior year and despite any past betrayals or tense love-triangles, no matter what they were best friends. So there they sat, sipping on hot chocolate and making fun of Hopper and his constant old man grump.

"Guys...what if I don't get into college or what if we can't all go to new york together. What are we going to do?"

"Lucas, you want to go to Fordham, I'm pretty sure you're good." Will snapped back sassily.

"I get what he's saying. What if we have to separate?" Dustin said, the mood becoming increasingly morose.

"No matter what, we'll stay friends. I mean at this point, we're kind of stuck with each other." Max said, patting Dustin on the shoulder.

"But that's what they all say. And no one ever stays in touch with their high school friends." Lucas argued.

"Well we're not normal high school friends. I mean Will was kidnapped and then we found El in the woods and then we legit fought a monster and then El died and then El didn't die and then El could literally control everything. I mean, we have a bit more of a bond than most teen friends." Mike said, the others nodding along.

"Guys, this is really dampening the mood. I'm already sick of hearing about college enough, can we just do something fun?" El asked and with that, they rummaged through Hopper's cabinets until they finally found some hidden gold. Monopoly.

In the middle of the game, El and Mike went to the kitchen to go get snacks for the group.

"20 bucks they're just going to make out." Will muttered to Lucas.

"Deal" Lucas replied.

After about 5 minutes and they still hadn't returned, Dustin got up to go find out what they were doing.

"Gross, you guys are actually getting snacks." He said when he entered the kitchen and saw them getting bowls.

"What'd you think we were doing?" El asked.

"Sucking face, obviously." Dustin responded matter-of-factly and Mike just rolled his eyes.

"What do you want Dustin?"

"Well I was supposed to just come and make sure you weren't dead or on top of each other but now that I'm here, I need your advice. Max clearly likes Lucas and I don't know what to do. I mean, I love her so should we stay together? Or because I love her, should I let her be with Lucas?"

"You know what, it's hard to hear but I think you should let her be with Lucas. The relationship is now more harm than good and I think you should give her over." Mike says and Dustin nods, his face getting red. He turns to El and asks her opinion.

"Honestly, I think you're both idiots. Max is her own person and a strong one at that. You're not 'letting' her do anything. She doesn't report to you and you don't decide her fate. If Max wanted to be with Lucas, she would be with Lucas right now but it's her own decision that she'll make when the time is right. And you're not giving her to Lucas! Neither of you own her and you need to stop acting like you do. For the last 4 years you two have been acting like Max either belongs to you or Lucas and you're wrong. Max is her own person who makes her own decisions and dates who she wants and it has very little to with you planning how to transfer her to another person. Max is my best friend and therefore she tells me about her romantic life and her plans are wildly different than your plans and you know which future she's going to go with? Hers."

After El's speech, both Lucas and Mike hung their heads.

"I want an apology from both of you right now for being sexist assholes." El commanded.

"Sorry, El" Dustin said, with real apology in his voice.

"Good, you may go now." El said and shooed him with a flick of her hand before turning on Mike. He enveloped her in a hug and kissed her, apologizing and raining complements down on her.

"Oh yeah, yeah whatever." El laughed and Mike wrapped his arm around her.

"I'm still pissed." She warned.

"I know you are." He smiled, leaning his head on hers.

After a competitive game of Monopoly, Max taking the win, Hopper was nearly done with work and it was time to scatter.

"Max, you're coming with me right?" Will asked, having gotten a beat up ford for his 17th birthday. Max nodded and grabbed her coat, pecking Dustin and hugging El before leaving with Will.

"Yeah Dustin and I are gonna bounce together." Lucas said.

"Yeah our parents have this weird work party,"

"That we're being dragged to,"

"Because the world hates us." Dustin finished. Mike couldn't help but chuckle. Despite the fact they're warring over some girl, they're still so close they literally finish each others sentences.

El looked at Mike who shook his head.

"I'm staying here. I won't make you face the Hopper alone."

El smiled and kissed him quickly. He put his arm around her waist as a white sheriff car slowly pulled into the driveway.