Chapter the Ninth

MIKE'S POV

I'm standing around, confused out of my mind, as Nancy shoves more and more clothes into El's arms and basically just talks at her. After the boys left, my mom had regained some sort of a stable mental state and talked to me. I convinced her to let El stay and she actually gave us her card to buy clothes and furniture for El. She's moving into the basement now and I'm moving all my stuff down there off to the other side. But I don't mind.

However, now I kind of regret asking Nancy to come shop for El. She's completely changed and now she's like some tyrant of the mall, barking orders left and right and talking so, so, so fast. It's bewildering.

And El is just as confused as me. I can tell. She and I are standing next to each other, mouths slightly ajar, her holding so much clothing I can barely see her face.

Finally, Nancy shoves El into a stall and actually follows her in. I open my mouth to question her but she just rolls her eyes and says "Mike. We're sisters now. It's normal. Besides, how else am I going to decide what she needs to get and what to scrap."

We end up "scrapping" nothing. After sitting on the bench and listening to Nancy squeal "it looks so good!" for about half an hour, we can finally leave. With numerous amount of bags in hand, we exit the store I have now spent too much time in and walk out into the mall.

After going into some other stores and getting a few more necessities and ordering a bed, we finally head home. We pile into Nancy's Volkswagen that she got when she turned 18, and we head home.

When we arrive, we both rush into the basement and set up all of her stuff. The boys would die of laughter if they ever heard this, but it was honestly kind of fun. Spending the day with El and setting up her room, almost a promise that she's here to say, wasn't exactly bad for my mood.

We talked and joked about everything. I told her about my classmates and she commented "mouth breather" on all the right people. At one point I caught her hand and intertwined our fingers. I proceeded to tease her for her deathly cold hands, causing her to look up at me with the most adorable smile I have ever seen in my entire life.

Everything was perfect.