Chapter the Second

ok so I'm writing this instead of doing my homework. you're welcome

Mike's POV

I rolled over in my bed to see El lying next to me, eyes closed and mouth perched in a slight smile. I smile at her sleeping figure and turn around to check the clock. 4:30. I shake El awake, lightly telling her to wake up. When she finally groggily opens her eyes, she stretches, pupils dilating from the sudden sunlight.

"What time is it?" She asks.

"4:30 so you should be heading home."

"Oh okay. This was a good nap sesh, thanks."

I slowly get up, pulling her along with me. I tug a little too hard though and she ends up collapsing on top of me, a mess of blankets and my sweatshirts. We lay there laughing, huddled into each other, absorbing each other's presence and for once not having anything to worry about.

It's the 21st, 4 days before Christmas and I'm definitely in the spirit. I love Christmas. Everything about it. The gifts, the food, the loved ones, the season. And this is El's first Christmas with us and I want it to be perfect for her. I want her to love it as much as I do. Barely anything can ruin the season of Christmas for me. Except for what happens right after this.

I walk El down the stairs and to the door, pausing before I open it.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" I ask.

"Do you really think you can stay away from me for more than 24 hours?" She responds. I laugh a give her a quick kiss, beckoning her to the door. As she's walking towards it she turns around and suddenly leaps into my arms, hugging me tightly. I instinctively bring up my arms and hug her back, not asking any questions. And then she whispers into my ears 3 words.

"I love you."

It's not like we didn't know we loved each other. It was sort of understood that we loved each other since the first week we met but in the way that Dustin or Lucas or Max or Will loves her. Not in the romantical sense. And we certainly never exchanged those words together. So while my knees buckled and my thoughts came to a stand still my mouth almost worked on it's own, uttering the words I've been feeling since I first met her.

"Screw you, I wanted to say it first."

And we both laugh before I lean in and kiss her deeply, suddenly Christmastime getting better than I ever imagined it could've.

"Oh and in case you didn't get it, I love you too." I say quickly after we break our kiss. She laughs and nods, small tears beginning to form in her eyes, probably out of happiness that her life is now finally going right.

Holding hands we walk to the door and I open it, jokingly saying "M'lady," as I do so. She chuckles as the door begins to open, letting in the cool Indiana air before she stops, staring at what's ahead of her.

Dustin, red faced and teary, arm raised as if he was just about to knock on the door and looking utterly dejected.

sorry its so short guys but i got homework and responsibilities