Chapter 21

______________________________

Our pasts teaches to make ammends

______________________________

_____________

____1885_____

A shadow glides swiftly in the part of London where men and women shut the doors of their houses just as the dark begins to fall, where it is considered scandalous for a woman to prowl the streets at such an unholy hour. 

Yet, the lady cares for naught as the rickety house, reeking of the sewer, comes within view.

A ghost of a smile graces her lips. So this is how the witch has managed to elude her Master for so long. Even she had to admit that her rival was smart, yet not smart enough to vanish into thin air. 

She is her Master's faithful servant. 

She remains quite aware of the fact that even if the people heard cries of a woman at night no one would bother to investigate, terrified as they were of venturing forth from the safe refuge of their houses. It only strives to make her task easier.

The witch had given her quite a chase yet she had slipped up. Prudent as it was, the witch must have known that having a lover was quite dangerous in her world so she presumed that having a silent code with her lover would save her. How naive was that! she thinks darkly. 

Lowering her mask, she raps on the door thrice in the same fashion as the lover; twice hard, once soft. 

She hears the footsteps as the door flings open to reveal a women, in her early youth with rosy cheeks and bright blue eyes. The expression of tenderness swiftly changes into terror and the witch tries to shut the door, but she is quicker. She pushes the woman back hard and shuts the door behind her, advancing on the woman with a dagger that she holds with finnesse of an assassin. 

Her eyes search the room  falling atlast on the baby that lays in the cot just as the woman let out a strange whimper. It is not the woman who her Master has ordered to kill but the babe. The woman realizes this and cries out in anguish. 

"Not her please," she begs her. "Not my daughter. Take me but spare her."

The lady walks right upto the child and feels a tiny surge of sympathy as she stares into the child's eyes but she quickly pushes it down. No, the woman has committed treason. The woman has to be punished severely to set an example. She would not disappoint her Master.

The woman thrusts herself before the child. "Not her, please."

"Get aside, witch," she whispers darkly. 

She can simply kill the woman if she has her way but she knows that her Master wants this witch to suffer. 

The woman looks wildly across the room for a weapon, but the lady has had enough. Using her strength, she pushes the woman, harder than she intends and the woman hits her head against the wall. 

She lets out a blood curling scream just as the lady plunges the dagger and a fountain of blood erupts. The lady grimaces just as the woman screams, "May God curse you! May you never find solace! I vow before God that I shall never forgive you and one day, you will watch your child killed by my hand and you shall be helpless, you heartless hound! Listen well, you demon, for here is the curse that I lay upon you and your generation henceforth. Your soul shall be incarcerated in every generation and each new generation shall be cursed and suffer even more than you . As long as you live you shall be hunted like you have hunted me down. May you remain accursed for taking from me what I held the most dear." Her voice breaks and she weeps.