Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Tris

White light surrounds my blurry vision. I blink a few times and look at my surroundings. I am in a hospital for sure; white walls, medical equipment, the smell of antiseptic and a man in a doctors uniform walking through the door.

I am still unsure as to whether this is real or I'm dead and in hospital heaven. But as the doctor takes my hand and sits down next to me, I realise this is real.

A gust of relief washes through me and I start to breath heavily.

"Shhh," the doctor soothes me, "You're safe. I will explain everything in a minute. Would you like anything?"

I shake my head, unsure as to whether my dry throat can manage speech yet.

"Ok. Well where do I begin... let's start by asking you what you remember."

I don't reply for a while as the memories resurface.

"I..." my voice is fragile and croaky. I clear my throat and continue,

"I survived the death serum and reset the memories of the Bureau but I was shot by..." I don't know if I should say his name even though I remember is as clear as day. "And...um...that's all." I conclude.

"Well you are exactly right Tris. Do you remember me by any chance?"

I look at the doctor sitting beside me. He fiddles with a string around his neck.

"Matthew!" I nearly break down just because I've seen a familiar face. "Matthew help me understand please! I so scared and confused and I just...don't know anymore..." tears spill down my cheeks.

"Don't worry Tris, that's why I'm here. I will explain everything."

"Thank you," I breathe.

He smiles and starts my long tale,

"Well ever since the day you were shot, everyone thought you were dead. The doctors cleaned your bullet wounds and cleaned you up. They were positive you were gone so they moved you to the memorial room to wait until you were buried or cremated. But then one day someone was checking up on you and they noticed your hand twitch. They brought you straight into the hospital to check you over. They kept you here for around 4 months. You were supposed to be going back into the memorial room in a few days but you are obviously alive."

I gaped at him. I had basically risen from the dead.

"How...how long ago did I die?" my voice catches at the end,

He sighed and said, "You were 'dead' for 2 years Tris."

My mouth falls open. That can't be right. This isn't possible! How can I be dead for two years then come back to life? I was completely shocked.

"How is that possible?" I question, surprise laced in my voice.

"Well me and some doctors have been analysing your blood and vital organs and we have come to the conclusion that...well...your body shut down, stopped working to make it seem like you were dead. Your heart stopped, your blood stopped flowing and you didn't die of starvation or dehydration either. We believe that you consumed so much death serum and that because you survived it, you were able to keep your body working even when the serum had taken full effect."

"But...I couldn't do that!" I say exasperatingly,

"But that's the thing Tris, you did."

I let his words sink in, I more than survived the death serum, I conquered it. Adrenaline flows through my body, I feel strong, powerful, and I feel infinite.

"Does anyone know about this?" I ask.

He seems surprised that I've processed the information so well.

"No. We didn't tell anyone, especially Tobias. We didn't want to give him false hope-"

Tobias.

My heart aches. I've missed him so much. Missed every kiss, every word, every glance. I just wanted one more. And now I can.

I need to find him, where is he? My thoughts go at a hundred miles per hour.

I cut Matthew off by ripping the cords attached to me out and running to find him.

Tobias.