Ace of the Diamond...What If...

PART 3

MIYUKI'S POV

"Alright, let's try one on the inside." I called, scooting my body over to the left. I noticed him hesitating before he winded his body for another pitch. The ball shot straight down the middle.

I sighed and stood up. "That's it for the day, Sawamura. Go ice your shoulder. You're going to be pitching in the Yakushi Game today so you need to be ready." Sawamura, who would usually be pumped up to pitch in any game, didn't move at first, but just stared at his glove. "Hey, did you hear me?" I walked over to him and tapped my gloved hand on his shoulder. "Don't stress about it. You'll get your game back." I hoped he didn't hear the lost hope in my voice.

Sawamura nodded and walked off toward the dugout, my eyes following him. Furuya came up behind me and asked if he could pitch some balls to me and I accepted. As he pitched to me, I noticed a new form in his pitching and I smiled when I realized it was similar to Sawamura's. I guess a little inspiration from his rival was enough.

AFTER THE GAME...

KURAMOCHI'S POV

I returned to the dorm room after my shower and found Sawamura sitting on the foot of his bunk, his head hung down. I sighed and threw my stuff onto my bed and faced him with my arms crossed.

"So another sulking day passes, huh?" I propped my foot on the bed next to him. "It's just one game. There will be more in the future." There's no answer, which pissed me off even more.

I decided to do my thing and wrestle him to talk. I grabbed his arms up, catching him by surprise, and pulled himto his feet. Once he realized what happened, he fought back. It was almost like his old self. I cracked a smile and tried to pull him in for a head lock. But Sawamura unlocked some inner strength and held his ground, his chin touched his chest.

"Let. Go." he growled. I actually hesitated.

"Aw, come on, Sawamura! Just like old times!" I laughed.

"I said LET GO!" Sawamura used his strength to wrench me down. My grip was released and I lost my balence, hitting the the side of the bunk, and I buckled to my knees.

There was a moment of silence before Sawamura spoke.

"Kuramochi?" His tone changed. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." He stopped and I looked up to see him biting his lip. I rose to my feet slowly without a word.

Before I could say something, Sawamura stretched out his arms in front of him to me. "Tackle me! Wrestle me! Do whatever!" It was like he was begging me to beat him up. I cracked a smile at the scene. Then, pressing a fist against his chest, I said, "You win."

HARUICHI'S POV

Eijun was the last one in the wreck room. I passed by 30 minutes after I finished eating and noticed him still sitting in the same spot, picking at his food. I bit my lip and walked in, startling him.

"If you don't eat, you'll pass out again." I said, giving him an encouraging smiling. He gave me a half-smile. "I promise I'm eating. I don't the same mistake twice." When he said that, his eyes narrowed and darkened. I exhaled through my nose when I realized he was reminencing on the game. I haven't fully gotten over it yet.

I opened my mouth to speak, but Eijun beat me. "I'm sorry for making you worry." He cracked a smile. "I've been saying that a lot lately."

I waved it off. "It's alright. You're better now so I'm not worried anymore." Eijun caught the lie in my voice.

"I didn't even acknowledge you when you were at the hospital. You were the first face I saw and I completely ignored you..." He locked his eyes with mine. "I'm really sorry, Haruichi."

My throat tightened. My eyes began to water. My body moved on its own and I crashed into Eijun, hugging him tightly. Then, I let go and started to lightly pound my fists on the top of his head. I started crying and laughing at the same time.

"It's okay! In fact, it's awesome!" I said. "You're awesome! Best friend ever!"

Eijun smiled...wait...that's his real smile?!?!

He even laughed!

Eijun was himself again!

I knew from that point on Eijun was going to do nothing but rise up and impress everybody. Just like he always does.

CHRIS'S POV

I found him pitching in one of the inside batting buildings, just as I thought. Before I walked in, though, I watched him. He was trying to pitch to the inside. He was trying to get his ultimate weapon back. I noticed he was trying many techniques. He was struggling and getting frustrated.

That's when I stepped in. "Is that an ace pitches?"

When his tired eyes met mine, his face brightened and a relieved smile spread across his mouth, like he was glad to see no one else but me.

I grabbed a catcher's mitt and squatted down. Holding the mitt out, I called for an inside pitch. Sawamura ended up sending up a homerun straight down the middle. A pained look fell upon his face and averted his eyes from mine. I stood up and patted his shoulder.

"Sawamura." I said. "There is a pitch I want to teach you. It was one of the first pitches I ever wanted to teach you because I knew you were the only one who could pitch it." And so...I taught him the most effective outside pitch, combined with his extraordinary pitching technique. A thrill burst in his eyes when he connected perfectly. If he couldn't pitch to the inside because of his yips, then low and away will become his new weapon.

After a few more pitches I told him I must go.

"I won't be back for awhile." I said. "Maybe a few years..." Sawamura's brightened face immediately sunk. I laughed and patted his shoulder. "Don't worry, I'll be back. I'll watch your games on Live. Maybe a phone call every once in awhile."

"Mhmm..." was all he said at first. Then, our eyes locked. "Thank you, Chris...for all that you have done for me." I ruffled his hair and turned away to leave. Just before I reached the exit...

"CHRIS!"

I turned and was surprised to find Sawamura wrapping his arms around my torso, his cheek pressed against my chest. I heard him crying softly. "I've always looked up to you..." he breathed. "I respect you more than anyone...and you're my hero..."

"I know..." I squeezed his shoulders with one arm and placed a hand on the back of his head. "You have so much potential, Sawamura. You have the talent and determination to be the ace of this team. When you grow stronger; when you master what's necessary...you will be the ace. I promise." There was a pause and our hold on each other tightened before I continued on. "I'm so proud of you. I'm so proud on how much you've grown. Never stop making me proud."

I slowly released our embrace and held the sides of his head in my hands. Tears were streaming down his cheeks and on my thumbs. I noticed him trying to smile for me, but his feelings were getting in the way. "I don't want to leave, Chris...I still need you to help me..." I smiled, fighting back my own tears.

"This isn't goodbye, Sawamura." I said, and I planted my lips on his forehead and moved my hands from his temples. Then, I ruffled his hair one more time and left the building.

Once I was in my car, I released the sobs that I've been holding back since I first walked in and saw him. Tears blinded me and streamed down my cheeks. I tried to control my breathing.

I didn't want to leave...but it was my final lesson...he didn't need me anymore...

He would grow stronger on his own from now on, and...just maybe...he will get the opportunity to live his dream as the Ace of Seido.