Chapter 16

"You're just going to stand there?" I giggled at my husband, standing at the end of the bed in nothing but his button up shirt, and he was leaned against the wall. In one swift motion, he came over and put his hands on my sides, pushing me down onto the bed.

"Happy Valentine's Day baby." I said to Nick breathlessly in between kisses. He slid the shirt off my body, making me gasp once his lips hit my stomach.

"Mommy!" I heard my youngest child yell from
down the hall, then there were footsteps coming toward our bedroom. Nick scrambled to grab my shirt for me and I slipped it on before she knocked on the door. I got on cotton shorts to be safe.

"Come in honey." I called out. Aster cracked the door open and peeked in before stepping in the room and closing it.

"My box. Ace chewed it." She showed us the box she was supposed to bring to school for their Valentine's Day party today, and there was a big frown on her face.

"Mama will fix it baby, come on I'll help you." I stood up off the bed, and Nick's lips landed behind my ear.

"We will be picking this up later Mrs. Jonas." He told me in a demanding tone. I smirked before following my daughter downstairs to the living room where all of the craft stuff was still out on the table. Thankfully, the dog hadn't gotten into any of that. I sat with her and remade her box, and it looked better then it had originally.

"Thanks mama. I love you." I kissed her little puckered lips, smiling.

"I love you too pumpkin. Alright, time to get to school." I stood up and looked around for the other kids. I could hear Lexi talking on the phone in the kitchen, and it sounded like the boys were playing video games in other room. I got them all together, and said goodbye to Nick before driving all the kids to school.

"Here mama. I made this one for you." Aster handed me one of her Valentines that her and I made for her whole class last night. She drew a picture of her and I in crayon, and there was a big heart taking up one side of the paper.

It read: I love you with all my heart mommy.

I smiled at that, and quickly put it into my wallet where I'd keep it for a long time. I drove home, picking up my gift for Nick at the store on the way. There's s new pair of shoes he's had his eyes for awhile now, and I had ordered them in last week, and they were finally here.

"There's an order for Katy Jonas. It should be a pair of shoes." I told the man at the desk, tapping my nails on the wood. He looked at some papers before his green eyes met my blue ones.

"Yup. Just got in yesterday." He went into a back room and left me waiting there for about five minutes before presenting me with the $800 shoes. I carefully put the wrapped box in the car and got home as fast as I could.

I walked in the door and the first thing I saw was rose petals. I rolled my eyes once I saw that Ace had a rose in his mouth. I took it from him, petting his head, before following the petals all the way to the bedroom. There, I saw roses on the bed spelling out I Love You. It was the cheesiest thing I've ever seen, but it was special to me that Nick would do this.

"I cannot believe you did all that while I was only out dropping the kids off." I said to him once I found him watching tv in the basement, sitting there in his boxers.

"That's only the beginning sugar." He winked.

"And may I ask, why are you only wearing your boxers?"

"Because we pretty much have the whole day to ourselves until three."

That day, we had the first Valentine's Day to ourselves that we've had in a couple years or so. There was always something going on with someone. And Nick did a lot to make sure that it was perfect. And if truly was.

The next day was Austin's first football practice and I was kind of nervous as I watched it from the sidelines. This sport could be violent, and I really did not want him getting hurt. His eye was healing up well, but I still felt like someone had to have pressured him into joining something like football. I couldn't see him just choosing it on his own.

For the first day, the coach told me he did pretty well. I was proud of my son, and told him so. On the way home, Austin wanted to have a serious talk with me. He told me just to listen.

"I don't feel happy anymore. Like nothing can put a genuine smile on my face, and I can't even laugh realistically anymore mom. It's like all I feel is numb, and I can't do anything about it. And I don't want yours, or anyone else's pity. I just want to try and figure it out on my own." I looked at him and my gaze softened.

"But you don't have to figure it out on your own sweetheart." I said, pulling into our driveway and parking the car. He looked back at me, his eyes locking with mine.

"It's okay mom. I got this."

...