Chapter 3

Jasmine

"DJ Get Up. Class Is Over, Here's Your Work." Jasmine Said. I Knew That She Would Cover For Me, She's Always Reliable When It Comes To Our Work. I Wouldn't Be Surprised If They Gave Her Valedictorian As A Junior.

DJ

"Five More Minutes Mama!" I Said Unaware That I Yelled That And Everyone Laughed.

Jasmine

"DJ It's Me, Get Up." I Looked Up And Saw She Had My Bag In Her Hand. I Got Up And Stretched Before Taking My Bag From Her. I Looked At The Clock And Saw It Was The End Of The Period. I Started To Wonder Why She Let Me Sleep The Entire Period Instead Of Waking Me Earlier. She Grabbed My Hand And When I Went To Get My Phone Out Of My Shorts It Wasn't There. I Looked At Jasmine As I Saw She Had My Phone And Had A Sad Look On Her Face.

DJ

"Jasmine What's Wrong?" I Asked, But She Just Handed Me My Phone As It Was In The Messages As She Laid Her Head On My Chest As I Sat On A Bench And She Stood Between Me. I Looked At My Messages And It Was From My Auntie.

Auntie D_ Your Cousin Sage Was Shot And The Bullet Is In His Heart. He's On A Breathing Machine So He's Alive But He Only Has A Few Hours Left. I Know Y'all Were Close So You Should Get Here As Soon As Possible.

I Saw That Jasmine Was Looking At Me As She Grabbed My Hand. I Felt Tears Swell Up In My Eyes. Sage Was My Favorite Family Member. When We Were Younger We Had The Same Dreams And Aspirations. We Said The Last One To The NFL Has To Buy The Other One A Lamborghini. We Said We Would Marry Two Kardashians When We Were Twenty Two. We Were Just Kids, But That Shit Meant Something To Us. I Felt Jasmine's Hand On My Face As She Pulled Me To Her And Laid My Head On Her Chest Whipping My Tears Away. I Had To Get To The Hospital Now. I Stood Up And Kissed Jasmine On The Cheek As I Walked Away Heading To The Office. When I Finally Signed Out I Got In My Chevrolet Camaro And Drove Off Running The First Light I Came Too. As I Finally Made It To The Hospital I Parked And Ran Inside Asking The Nurse At The Desk For Sage Thompson. I Got Directed To The Elevator And On The Ride Up All I Could Think About Was Me Being To Late, And Him Being Gone. I Got Out Of The Elevator And Was Instantly Greeted My My Brother JD. I Hated This Nigga With All My Heart. Why The Fuck Is He Even Here? He Ain't Never Liked Sage. He Never Like Any Of Us And I Wasn't About To Have No Brotherly Love Moment With This Nigga Either.

JD

"Surprise Lil Man." My Punkass Brother Said But I Pushed Past Him Not Saying A Word. As I Finally Got To The Room I Busted Through The Door And Everyone Was Standing There Looking At Me. I Ignored Everyone As I Sat Next To Sage.

DJ

"Hey Lil Bro." I Said As I Took His Hand Doing Our Greeting We Always Did.

Sage

"Hey Big Bro." He Said Looking Extremely Tired. Like He Had Been Waiting For Me To Get Here. This Was The Only Person In The World That I Could Ever Consider A Best Friend. I'm Getting Pissed, But I'm Also Depressed, But I'm Also Glad To See Him, But I'm Sad That He's In This Position.

DJ

"You Going Home With Me Today Brah." I Said Getting Teary Eyed Tryin To Smile. What He Said Next Made My Heart Sink Ten Folds Down Into The Pit Of My Stomach.

Sage

"Nah Bro I Gotta Go Tell Mom And Dad All About You. How You Growing Up With A Girlfriend, Playing Football, Gotta House, Paying Bills, And Yo Ass Got A God Damn Camaro. A Nigga Get A Chance To Guard Your Ass As A Angel." He Said Laughing And All I Felt Was My Soul Leave My Body. He Started Coughing For A Second Before Sitting Up And Hugging Me. Then He Got Comfortable Again And Closed His Eyes. Seconds Later I Heard The Beep. That Beep That Means Their Really Gone. That You Would NoLonger Hear That Person Speak Ever Again. Even Though He Was Smiling I Couldn't Help But Cry. I Sat His Hand On His Chest And Got Up And Walked Away. I Could Hear People Calling Me From The Room, But I Couldn't Hear Anything Anymore. I Hit The Elevator And As Soon As It Closed I Dropped To My Knees. I Needed Jasmine Before I Did Something I Would Regret. I Blew Up Her Phone For A Good Fifteen Minutes In The Parking Lot.