The Blame

Patricia's POV

I could barely breathe and my heart was pounding in my chest. I felt a lump in the back of my throat and I began to tremble. The anxiety I was expierencing was beginning to take over. I didn't want to face this. For once in my life I had felt true love for the first time and it was slipping away right before my very eyes. I cried hysterically and clinged on to Erica. She appeared to be in shock.
"Oh Patricia please don't do this. Please stop. Please. I'm sorry okay? I'm sorry." She said as she burst in tears as well.
"You don't love me anymore?" I cried.
"Patricia please-"
"No! Don't do that, talk to me! You're just going to throw me away now? What about us huh? I chose you! We made love! How could you break me like this?" I cried.
"Goddamnit Patricia let it go!" Erica yelled.
"I can't-"
"No, you listen to me! You say you chose me-"
"I did!" I interrupted.
"Did you?" She said.
"Yes!"
"So why the FUCK, did you marry Dominic? Answer me that."
She had a point. But everything was such a blur now. I didn't understand myself. I just wanted Erica. She felt like home and I didn't want to turn back. Not now.
"Answer me." She said.
"I can't. I don't know. I'm sorry. Please Erica-"
"Please what? What the fuck do you want me to do Patricia? I can't unfuck you. I can't turn back the hands of time. I didn't put a gun to your head and tell you marry Dominic! You knew all along that deep down you had feelings for me. Yet you married Dominic anyway..." Erica said.
"So what are you saying? Are you blaming this all on me?" I cried.
She pulled out a ring and put it in my hand. It was a silver diamond ring with a red ruby in it.
"What's this?" I asked.
Erica looked me in the eyes,
"It's the ring I was going to give to you."
"What?"
"I was going to ask you to marry me..." She said, putting her head down. "But Dominic got to you before I could even admit to you my true feelings."
I was so surprised. This was too much. Maybe I was the one to blame afterall.
Erica continued to speak.
"So the answer to your question is yes. I blame you. But there is no turning back now. I don't want to have this conversation again. We both need time to heal from this. I'm sorry." She said.
My heart ached.
"Why did you stop fighting for me?" I said.
She sighed, "Because I had already lost the battle. I have to go to work now."
I wanted to hold her. I wanted her to understand but...
I watched her walk out of my front door. Leaving my aching heart behind.
I spent the day drowning in tears and awaited my husband. I made dinner and went to shower. As I came out of the bathroom, Dominic was standing there looking at me with confusion.
"Hey Papi..." I said, giving him a kiss with no passion behind it.
He looked at me with slight anger.
"Baby, what's this?"
"He was holding up the ring that Erica gave me. He spotted it on the dresser beside my Jewelry box.
Great. What was I to say? I could only blame myself.