Chapter 22

Recap: Chase leaps to his feet. His eyes look to my body to see that nothing has changed. His gaze shoots to the Apple. He reaches for it and stares at it. I can tell by his shaky grip, that he has never used one before. Unfortunately, like everyone else, the power comes easily. He sends his energy through it. In an instant, my eyes shoot open. He woke me.

***

I quickly gasp for air. I didn't expect that. I didn't want that. Why didn't I believe that he would use anything to bring me back to him? I just wanted to let go. I wanted to see my family again. 

"Shh. You're okay. You're okay," Chase soothes while stroking my hair while I breath heavily into his chest. He seems to be convincing himself more than me. "You've been through a lot. I'll let you get some rest. I need to speak to the others about the other Templar."

With that, Chase gestures the other assassins toward the door. Even with it closed, I can still hear their conversation.

"Guys, we have a problem. Damien Ward wasn't the Grandmaster; There's another that we haven't been able to identify yet," Chase explains to the group.

"What do you mean? They had two Grandmasters?" Logan responds.

"I'm not quite sure. Lexi simply told me that they were the real grandmaster. I didn't get the details from her."

"Speaking of which, what the heck was that? Was she possessing you or eating your soul?" Logan ask sarcastically. The others giggle at his comment.

"It's complicated..." Chase trails off, taking no humor in his current situation. "Anyway, I should go check on her. I think the council should know about what they're dealing with."

"On it."

The doorknob turns as their conversation ends. I shut my eyes and slow down my breathing in hopes that he will leave me, thinking I'm asleep. Luckily, he does just that. With only the slightest noise, he leaves the room. I feel guilty for doing what I did. I planned to leave him even though I knew how much I meant to him, but it was a choice I was making for me. My whole life has been controlled by others. I wanted to be free. I know he woke me because he cares, but I can't help but think that it was a selfish act. Maybe if he had known how I felt, he would have acted differently.

Even with my lack of energy, I cannot seem to sleep. My mind is racing with thoughts. Mother, Brother, Chase. 

My thoughts are broken by a knock at the door. I look to see who it is, suspecting Chase, but I was wrong. It's one of the master assassins. I can tell by the robes. They stand out from the rest. The dark embroidery is carefully designed. I bet they all have a meaning.

"I'm glad to see you doing well," he says. I don't know his name, but I recognize his voice. He is the one that leads the other two masters. I've never seen his face, until now. His short brown hair matches his eyes. He seems somewhat young, but old enough to be mature and lead the order. 

"Thank you." There is a silence. I can tell he wants to say something, not knowing if the timing is right. "Let's skip the small talk and get straight to the point. Why are you here?"

"I don't understand you, and I won't pretend to. I would like to know more about you. I want to know of your intentions. Maybe we could establish an alliance."

"I am loyal when I want to be. Your cause seems just, especially considering that the Templars are basically the spawn of evil. I would like to help you put an end to their actions."

"It seems our interests are aligned," he says in thought. "I've heard that there is another Templar, the real grandmaster, as they put it."

"Yes, a woman. I don't know of her plans. I wasn't in her presence long enough to discover anything."