32.

brooke heard a knock on her door. she looked at the clock and raised an eyebrow when she saw the time. she walked to her front door and opened it, coming face to face with her best friend, with a goofy smile on his face. "hey!" she said, hugging him. "you didn't tell me you were coming over."

"surprise?" he said, walking inside. they sat on her couch as the tv played behind them.

"what are you doing here?" she asked him.

"i actually want to talk to you about something..." tyler trailed off. brooke noticed his change in mood and rubbed his arm.

"what is it?" she asked, a small smile on her face.

"brooke i-" he was cut off by the sound of brooke's phone ringing.

"just one second..." she said, picking up her phone and bringing it to her ear. "hello?"

"this is her."

her face dropped. "w-what?" her hand flew over her face as a tear fell from her eye. "y-yes i'll be right there." she hung up the phone.

"brooke what happened?" tyler asked worriedly, rubbing her arms with his hands.

"i-i need to wake the kids up." she said, standing up as tears fell from her face heavily. "w-we have to go."

"brookie what happened?" tyler freaked out, standing up with her.

"please go get them, ty." she choked out in between sobs. "dylan was in a car accident. they said it's really bad and he's in surgery."

"oh, brookie." tyler said, embracing her. "it's gonna be fine. he's going to be okay."

"he can't die!" brooke sobbed. "h-he can't."

"it's okay babe." tyler said, kissing the top of her head. "i promise you everything will be fine."

"tyler we have to go." she said, pulling apart from him. tyler nodded and went to grab the kids while brooke wiped her tears away, trying to look strong for her kids even though it was breaking her inside. "he's gonna be fine." brooke said to herself. "he's dylan o'brien. he will be fine."

"lets go." tyler said, holding a sleepy kid in each arm. brooke grabbed payson from the man and walked out the door, grabbing the keys to her car.

***
"dyl-dylan o'brien." brooke said to the receptionist to try and figure out his status.

"he's still in surgery." the lady said, a slight smile on her face.

"how bad is it?" brooke asked.

"i'm not at large to give you that information." she said, the smile never leaving.

"please." brooke begged. "please, he's my husband."

the lady frowned and looked back at her computer. her eyes became sad when she looked back up at the young girl. "his lungs collapsed in the crash. they are working to repair the damage to his chest and heart from impact. he has four broken ribs, a broken leg, and a broken arm, as well as a concussion. i'm very sorry."

brooke broke down into sobs again. she couldn't believe what she was hearing. dylan might not make it, he might not get to see his kids again, or hold brooke again. dylan would die thinking that brooke hated him, when it was completing the opposite. "b?" brooke heard from behind her. she saw hoechlin, crystal, and holland there, watching her break down. "tyler texted us." hoechlin said.

"come here baby." crystal said, wrapping brooke into a hug. brooke sobbed into her sister's shoulder, not caring about who heard her. "he's going to be okay, brookie. dylan is strong." she kissed the top of her head. "you won't lose him."

"i c-can't lose him, crys." brooke sobbed. "he can't leave me."

"he won't babe." holland said, rubbing brooke's back. "he loves you way too much to leave you."

"mommy?" brooke heard as she felt someone tugging at her leg. "why are you sad?" she saw it was emory that was asking her the question she dreaded.

"honey..." brooke started, bending down to her daughters level. she wiped the tears from her eyes and put on a small smile. "daddy's been in an accident, okay? the doctors are trying to make him better so he can be here with you."

"is he gonna get better, mommy?" emory asked, sadness in her eyes.

"i hope so, em." brooke smiled. "i hope so."

[2/27/17]

literally started crying while i wrote this