34.

"brooke o'brien?"

brooke's head shot up quickly as she wiped her eyes. "t-that's me." she responded. she hadn't heard "o'brien" at the end of her name in a while and it shocked her a bit.

"your husband is out of surgery." the doctor said, sitting on the seat next to her in the waiting room. "but, we don't know when he will wake up. he had severe swelling in his brain that the surgeon managed to get down, but his lungs were badly damaged. he can breathe for himself, but not well. we have him hooked up to oxygen right now to help him breathe." brooke let out a sob and dropped her head. "i'm very sorry."

"t-this wasn't how we were supposed to end." she said. "i wanted to fix things, no matter how hard it took." she looked up at her friends beside her, who were all crying, and then to the doctor. "can we see him?"

"i can only allow three people in the room." the doctor said. brooke nodded and looked at her friends.

"crys and ty, can you come with me?" she said softly.

"of course, b." crys said, wrapping her sister up in a hug, letting brooke cry, for the second time, on her shoulder.

they walked into dylan's room and saw him hooked up to machines and an oxygen mask over his face. his leg was propped up in a sling hanging from the ceiling and his arm was in a cast. he had a brace on his chest, brooke assumed from the four ribs he had broken. "no!" brooke yelled. "you can't do this dylan. you can't leave me like this." she pounded her fists on his bed. she fell to the floor, her hands still on the hospital bed. "you can't." she sobbed. tyler sat down next to her and allowed brooke to cry into his chest.

"baby!" she heard. she raised her head from tyler's chest and saw britt in the doorway, looking at dylan.

"no." brooke said, standing up. "get out."

"he's my boyfriend, i love him." britt said sternly. "i'm not going to leave his side."

"he's my husband. he will always be my husband. you aren't just gonna waltz in here now and claim to love him because you don't know shit about him. you don't know what he likes and what he doesn't like. you don't know how the smell of muffins in the house makes his mood better no matter what, and how every time he cooks, he sings. you don't have any idea what it feels like to see him cry. you don't know the heart break of watching him break down in front of you. you haven't seen him at his best and worst, i have. i know what it's like to really love him. i know what it's like to feel his pain and to experience his happiness. he wouldn't want you here, i can guarantee that. he would want to be surrounded with people who actually love and support him, not some low life bitch who is using him for god knows what. we don't want you here, i don't want you here. so just leave britt. you aren't doing anyone any good by pretending to care about the man laying in that hospital bed right now." brooke yelled. she wiped the tears out of her face and watched as the blonde-haired girl ran out of the room in anger.

"you said the right things." crystal said to her, rubbing her back gently. "he doesn't love her. he loves you."

brooke didn't say anything. she just walked over to dylan, pulled up a chair next to the bed, and buried her face in the blankets covering him. she held his large hand in her small one and rubbed it with her thumb. "you're gonna be okay, dyl. i promise."

[2/28/17]