chapter 10

Chapter 10~

the embrace streched on until I had to wiggle out of his arms to find a smirk on his face.

"what?" I questioned.

"nothing, just hope leah doesnt find us. she'll pull out the Red book on my butt." Evan said staring at me.

"Red book.? Leah.?" I asked stunned.

"My sister shes lead protector in the human releam, even though she cheated it from me, but hey what can you do? And the Red book contains all the laws for gaurdians," Evan smiled.

"okay well I dont understand what the laws have to do with us hugging.?" I said not understanding the whole concept.

"well you see, Marry, the laws for gaurdians are much more strict than those for humans. Gaurdians aren't enabled to feel affection of any kind towards humans. If we do it could interfere with our work effort, you know destraction wise," Evan said slowly allowing me to take in his words.

"woah woah.. so you feel nothing.?" I said harsher than I should have.

"I should feel nothing, but I always feel something. when gaurdians are young we get an injection, kind of like a shot just much more painful. the medicine gets put in at the heart, which is the base of all human emotions. it seals them inside to where they never surface. but the thing is, I never got my injection. my mom Selena hid me when the Nave came by with the meds. she didn't want me growing up without the ability to be happy, to be sad, to love, to hate. she didn't want me growing up like she did, without a soul, or thats what she felt like. being deprived of your emotions is a great burden. humans take It for granted, but you don't know how much someone who couldn't feel them, would strive to have them," Evan looked away at his moms name. I could see pain behind his eyes. I let his hands drift away from me, and let him relax sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"Evan your mom," I started. he looked down at me with eyes that searched for all the worlds secrets. suddenly my question of what happend to his mom faded. I replaced it with a diffrent one, hoping to reignite his happyness, "what was she like.?" I smiled.

Evan walked to me taking a seat on the bed next to me. he smiled, which contained fear.

"she was wonderful," he whispered. I put my hand on his check making him look at me. he covered my hand with his, "She sung to me every night, with the softest voice. she would hold me tight when I was facing my worst nightmares. she laughed at my stupidest jokes. she was always there to support me, gave me courage when It was time for me to leave," he went silent and lost himself in the memory.

"leave.? Evan what do you mean leave you left your mom.?" I asked. Evan sighed.

"I had to," he plucked my hand from his face and put it to the side, "most gaurdians leave their home at 5 for training. fighting, using our abilites. but me, I grew up with Daniel and dad, watching you. Dad tought us as we went along. soon we became the best. Daniel and I werent like the others. we had to grow with you and Rylee learn as you did. we had to know your every move. the others got put on missions when they were 10, thats when they had to face the killing. we saw numerous die at a young age, even had to kill many to ensure your survival. all we knew was that you two were specail, you either meant life or death. the thing is, Sebastion knew it too. he is about 17 been that way for a long time." my eyes became heavy with tiredness that I couldn't deny any longer, Evan seemed to notice.

"here," Evan smiled. he lifted my feet from the ground and placed them on the bed. he removed my shoes and sat them neatly on the floor. he pulled down the blankets and draped them over me, "get some sleep." my eyes started to close, but snapped back open when I sensed him moving.

"please dont leave," I mumbled.

Evan pulled a chair over to the bed, "I wasn't going to," he said softly.

my eyes fluttered closed and welcomed the darkness.