~Evans pov~

I put my hand on the small of her back and guided her through the hallways. if only she knew, about the pain I felt watching her with other guys, staying away and never being able to speak to her. about the dangers all around her. I've been protecting her forever but I'm not assigned here forever. I can't go against the Nave. it would mean death. not just for me but for Marry too.

When she turned 12 Rylee had an unfortunate bike accident. so unfortunate that she was left alone that night after all the other children left.

Marry wasn't about to break her birthday ritual. At sunset she set out on her bike and pedaled all the way to lake Sydney. it was engulfed in trees so no one could see her.

she sat down by the lake and started skipping rocks until it got dark enough. she started hearing things she thought it was her imagination, but I heard them too.

the fireworks finally went off like they do every Friday. she jumped up in pure joy but soon that joy turned to fear. figures dressed in black came darting from the trees she screamed when one of them grabbed her from behind.

the ice gray eyes that could be seen from miles away screamed "Dont hurt her." but they weren't very good at following orders. they injected her with sleeping serum, and she fell limp immediately. I charged at the man knocking him off his balance. I was greatly out numberd.

they tied me to a post and tried to set it on fire. but they miscalculated. I kicked out at the mans jaw causing him to drop his knives I pulled it closer with my feet and quickly cut the ropes. the knives flew in every direction until all but 3 were dead. they took off leaving Marry's body on the ground. I took her back home and layed her in her bed. I stayed with her that night, as I do most nights. she keeps me company in the dark hours.

yet she never knows. My actions go unrealized and she awakes to think they were a dream. she's so fair, so delicate. this type of life can't be brought on her, but if only she knew. about the monsters, about the demons, about love and the pain. if only she knew about me. I know they will erase her memory of me soon enough I just can't bring myself to bear the image of a world without her knowing me again.

I had to tell her I loved her. just once. because then who would she trust to protect her from the greatest evil she hasn't come to realize yet. who would be able to protect her from her very own brother. Sebastian.