Chapter 26

All I can see is darkness. My eyes slowly adjust to make out the figure of a person.

Before I can process what's happening two arms wrap around me and I'm forced into an embrace.

"Evan," I whisper.

He responds by pulling away and humming.

"Not that I don't want to see you but.. why are we in a closet.?"

He chuckles. "Becauae the Nave doesn't exactly like me and I heard your conversation with Leah. Don't let her scare you, you need to be able to tell me anything because my life depends on yours."

"You heard my conversation with Leah.. what how.? And what do you mean your life depends on mine are they going to kill you if I die or something.?"

"I'm always there. I'm always watching you. And no. The Nave could never kill off their most valuable soldier. They'll need as many as they can get for the war. Marry, I need you to listen to me very closely, okay.?"

I nod.

"The Nave are going to tell you somethings but don't let any of them affect you. That's what the Nave do they try to get on your emotional side. You should know from how you've grown up, do not show weakness. I'll be in there with you if I can, don't feel alone. If you get frightened just think of me."

My eyes blurr with tears. Yet, I manage not to let any escape.

His hands rest on my arms, a comforting reminder that he's still there.

I throw my arms around his neck and he does the same. We stand together looking like a single person. He distances himself enough to where he can look me in the eyes.

"Ummm," he mumbles, "where'd you get that dress.?"

I look down baffled for a moment, then laugh.

"Compliments of your sister," I tell him, "you hate it.?"

"Nahh," he shrugs, "it looks good on you."

Suddenly I'm thankful for the dark, I feel my face turn a shade of red. His ocean blue eyes stare back at me.

He's so closed off. A part of me wishes that I could sneek into his mind and take a look around. The mysteriousness that develops seems to build the longer I know him. He always has a secret, he always has something he's hiding. But don't most things.? He looks so broken. Knowing only a little of his past I can't be sure. Yet, his eyes tell me something entirely different. He's so beautiful inside and out. And maybe it's just because beautiful things are so easily broken by the world.