XIV

Nico's PoV:

I'll be able to leave the hospital soon. They want to keep me for another day, just to run some extra tests. I'm glad I'll be leaving soon, but not so glad that I'll have to be sharing a house with him. Persephone could care less for me. Everytime Hades and her "visit" she just sits on a chair, using her phone. Hazel is nice, though. She says she's going to be in my school sometime the next few days or so. I told her that was great, because it was. I can't wait to be out of this hospital, go back how things used to be. Though things won't go back to how they used to be, will they? Things have changed. And I don't know whether the changes are good or bad or both. (Which I know some changes are bad. More than some, actually.)

I twiddle my thumbs in the dark, and switch positions and lay on my back.

Suddenly, I hear the door open. I furrow my brows. Who would be coming here at night? Thinking it's a doctor of some sort, I close my eyes and pretend to be sleeping. The door closes, and I hear footsteps coming toward me. My breath hitches as the person lays next to me. Please don't be Hades. At this point, I'm panicking.

"Nico?" A familiar voice says and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in.

"Will," I say to him and turn to lay on my side to see Will looking at me. "What are you doing here?"

"I couldn't sleep. Too many things. ." His voice seems distant, as if he's thinking.

"What happened?" I ask, putting my arm underneath my head.

"My parents. . They decided it was a great idea to surprise me on my birthday, and they got me a car."

My eyes widen. "That's. . great. Why are you. ." I gesture to him. "Like this."

I never realized Will could be "like this" when he wanted to be. To me he was just Will. Happy, sunshiny, Will.

"I don't know, Nico. Some part of me is happy, another part. . I just keep remembering the times I was left alone for months at a time, and then I'm angry."

I bite my lip hesitantly. "It sounds like you need to stop thinking. Don't let yourself go too far."

"'Go too far?'"

"Go too far into thinking. If you keep thinking, and thinking, and thinking, you'll just be lost in thought, and whatever you're thinking about, happy memories, sad memories, bad memories. . That'll be how you feel."

Will stays silent for some time.

"That happens to you, doesn't it Nico?"

"It's been happening a lot less recently."

"Really," Will comes closer to me, our faces are only a few inches apart.
"I wonder why," he says softly.

"I'm sorry about earlier," I tell him.

"It's okay, Nico. With the way you. . Reacted, I hit a sore spot for you, I'm sure."

We lay like that for a while, staring into each other's eyes. Eventually, he falls asleep and I follow soon after.

-

When I wake up, I'm laying alone on the hospital bed. I look around to see a note with my name on it, and recognize Will's handwriting.

Death Boy,

I have to go to school, so I just left. . By the way, you look really cute when you sleep.

With love,
Sunshine(;

I smile lightly and blush as I put the note under my pillow and lay down again, falling asleep with Will on my mind.