XXIII: Recovered Memories

Link and Meilen approached Dueling Peaks Stables, hoping to rest before continuing towards Kakariko Village. They were on their way to inform Impa that they had freed all four Divine Beasts and that they were immediately setting out for Hyrule Castle. As they paid for their bed, Meilen began to feel like something was missing. As she closed her eyes, the memories of one hundred years ago flooded back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zelda and Meilen rode their horses to the training grounds in the cold Hebra region. Up ahead of them, they could see Revali, the candidate for the Rito Champion, preparing for a brief flight. A gust of wind surrounded him in an instant. Taking to the skies, the Rito spiraled upward, before losing control and falling to the snowy ground. Picking himself back up, Meilen could hear him gasping to himself:

"Not enough... I must stay in the eye of the whirlwind... must push myself harder." Suddenly, he turned to look at the girls. "You know, your highness, it's rude to eavesdrop." said the Rito, as he stood at his full height.

"My apologies. We went to the village, and we were told that we could find you here." Zelda informed him.

"You have need of me." stated Revali. "To defeat Calamity Ganon." Meilen could literally feel the apprehension of the battalion of soldiers behind her. "To slay the beast once and for all, it will be my great pleasure."

"Thank you, Revali." said Princess Zelda. "If we work together, I'm certain we will be able to defeat-"

"However!" Revali interrupted. He took to the skies in his whirlwind once more, showing off his skills with ease. "I know that I play the biggest part in helping that, ahem," Meilen grit her teeth. She hadn't even met the hero yet, but she knew what was coming. "that little knight with the darkness-sealing sword, correct? Well, if he loses his confidence after seeing me in action, don't come crying to me." Meilen sighed. She would definitely have her work cut out for her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ah! Count me in, tiny princess!" said Daruk jovially. Meilen held a small smile on her face. Daruk was much better company than that upstart Revali, who insulted the knight who was to be a hero on a daily basis. Meilen hadn't even met the boy yet, but she knew that it offended heron personal level, given her connection to the Goddesses Four. "I'm the fearless Daruk, after all! And if Hyrule needs my help, I'll gladly lay down my life."

"Thank you, Daruk." Zelda said, relief heavy in her voice.

"Not sure if it's Calamity Ganon's fault or what, but I hear that monsters have been attacking people more than ever lately. Times like these, you shouldn't leave the castle without a horde of mighty Gorons to watch your back." Meilen frowned in annoyance. She wasn't that bad at fighting, was she? Then again, King Rhoam still insisted on having a battalion of soldiers with Zelda and Meilen at all times.

"You sound like Father." Zelda stated. "He's assigning a knight to watch over me and Meilen wherever we go. I hear the top contender is the most accomplished swordsman in all of Hyrule."

"Huh? That could only be-" Daruk cut himself off, spotting a group of monsters ahead.

"They really are all over the place these days." Meilen drawled. She noted the monsters grouping around something. "Is someone being attacked?" A hint of concern now colored her tone.

"Cowards!" Daruk spat. "Wait here, you two." Daruk charged into battle, slamming the Bokoblins aside with ease. When the dust cleared, the Bokoblins were fleeing. "Hmmph! Spineless little cuccos!" Daruk turned to the girls. "No monster stands a chance when fighting me, the almighty Daruk!" Zelda looked over and spotted what the monsters were after. It was a dog. Zelda made a small noise of astonishment before going over to it.