I'm Back Sweetheart

Today... is Valentine's Day. Does anyone have a Valentine? Trace does :( Poor Ivory. WELL. Enjoy this new chapter! :) ;* <3

Trace's POV

Three months. Three months and no progress. She's only getting worse. I always thought that I would have her. That she would finally be mine. It sucks, you know? To finally have them, and something screws it up, and you're stuck wondering what you could have done to prevent this from happening. But I can't do anything.

I go to the hospital every day after school. So much that it has turned into a habit. No ifs, ands, or buts. Coach understood once I explained to him Ivory's condition. He arranged practice to be every morning before school, but I had to take a risk by leaving Ivory to go to a game. I would always come back after and just tell her every detail about the game, about everything. Hoping that she would one day respond.

It's Friday morning, and I had just come back from football practice. I grabbed a small, red box from my gym locker, and slid it into the smallest pocket of my back pack. I bought a diamond,  heart-shaped necklace for Ivory, since it is Valentine's Day. I just didn't want her to miss anything. I told her nothing would change, I keep my promises. Ivory was born in April. The birthstone of April is a diamond. I put a lot of thought into this gift.

I hurry to first period with Mr. Simmons, bumping into someone, spilling all of her books. "Sorry." I mumble. I then help her pick up all of her books, which was a lot. She was carrying all of her textbooks, a crap load of binders, and, which surprised me the most, a copy of Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens. "You read Charles Dickens? This is my favorite book." I say, looking down at the novel.

"Yea it's a real classic." She says. I look at her and take in every feature. She has dark brown hair and brown eyes. They were warm and welcoming. Freckles were spread across her cheeks. But, she wasn't what you would call pretty, or ugly. She was average, she had flaws. But that didn't bother me. She looks up at me, blushing, realizing that I had been looking at her. 

"Anyway! I really should be going to class. I'm new here so it might take a while to find my way around." She says, chuckling.

"Oh. Well I'll help you get to your class. Who do you have first period?" I ask, handing her the rest of her books.

"Ummm... Mr. Simmons." She says, examining her schedule.

"That's what I have. I'll show you the way." I say.

"Okay...thanks. I'm Emily Wilson." She introduces.

"I'm Trace Lucas." I say.

We head into first period and Mr. Simmons marks me down late, again. He then tells Emily to take the seat next to me... that's Ivory's seat.

"No! I mean... how about we switch seats? I hate sitting here. And you won't be able to see from there anyway." I say. She agrees and we switch. Truth is, I didn't have a problem sitting in my seat. For some reason, I couldn't bare the thought of her sitting in there. I know it's weird, but I look at that empty seat for hope, if it's not empty, what hope will I have left?

Lunch came around and it was just a normal lunch period. We were all laughing and talking, as usual. Emily then walks in and she sits at a table all by herself, reading her book. She seemed fine until someone started throwing paper at her. She opened up the  crumbled piece of paper, and it distinctly said loser on it. Macy, her groupies, and the jocks were all laughing, teasing her, and calling her a nerd. People then started making fun of her. I didn't want to go up to her. I didn't want to ruin my reputation, but that seemed shallow. So I thought to myself... what would Ivory do?