Chapter 18

About half an hour later when my brother already left and I'm laying on the couch, watching TV, because I feel like I'll die any second, Rory comes out of her room. I feel a little better after my shower. I had to make myself at least presentable because I couldn't walk around looking like a fright all day. 

I smile at Rory and wave a hand around to indicate her she should join me. She sits down beside me. "I don't have much time, I'm going to lunch," she tells me.

I nod my head.  "Yeah, sure. I just wanted to order some pizza anyway." Is there any better cure for a hangover than greasy, unhealthy food? That always worked for me. Food and coffee. Sometimes it seems like my life revolves around just the two of these things.

"Why don't you come with me? I'm just going out with my best friend, but I doubt she'll mind," Rory offers. 

In this short time I've known Rory Warren, she came to grow close to my heart. I can just see what a sweetheart she is, that good, shy, quiet girl that's actually really gorgeous. She's got all the attributes to be a good person.  

And her offer is making me feel like she wants to be friends with me, too, and that she's starting to trust me a little bit more. I give her all the attention. "I don't really want to intrude ..." I trail off with a hesitation.

She gives me a smile of reassurance. "Please! It's better to come with us and have some fun than sit here by yourself. You won't intrude, I promise you."  

She convinces me. I nod my head, turn the TV off and stand up.  "Give me five minutes to get ready," I reply while already walking to my room. And when I say five minutes, that's not even a lie anymore. Because I've learned not to give so much shit about my appearance anymore and I abandoned that 'I'm not going out of my flat without any makeup on' crap.

"I hope you like Italian food!" Rory shouts after me.  

I appear at the door a second later, already holding a dress in my hands, giving her a serious look. "Rory, my dear, one thing you'll learn about me is that I eat anything you give me." I disappear back in my room again. 

I hear Rory's chuckle from the living room.

Ten minutes later, Rory and I are rushing out of the flat and driving to the restaurant. When we arrive, Rory's friend is already waiting at the table for us. Rory gives her a big welcome hug. 

She spots me then when Rory stops hugging her and introduces herself to me. Her name's Lily. "So, you're Rory's new roommate, huh?"

I nod my head and give Lily a warm smile. "And you're Rory's best friend," I point out. 

"That I am!" is Lily's reply before we all take our seats.  

"I've never been here before. It looks really nice," I say, making small talk.  

The restaurant was nice looking. It has that vintage look with a hint of richness that made the place look exquisite. The chairs were comfortable, covered with flush and there was a soft music playing. It's quite packed today, but people aren't creating much noise, so it's actually really peaceful and easy to talk. Another big plus is that the food is delicious.

  ◊   

We spend most of our afternoon talking and having a nice time. Rory opens up completely in front of me, telling us about her ex-boyfriend, Charles. Who deserves an A for being an asshole. The whole time Rory was telling what happened with them, I was staring at her in disbelief.

The bastard cheated on her and when Rory found him in the bed with another girl, he didn't even look apologetic. He didn't even stop her when she packed her things and left. And they were together for two years.