Chapter 14

"You're home early," Sam says in a way of greeting, halfway finished with her cake in the living room. "Way too early in fact." She frowns and gives me a questioning look.

"Yeah, that would be because there was no wedding," I say dryly.

Sam sits up straighter on the couch. "What? Are you joking?"

I shake my head. "I wish I was," I mumble with a sigh. "Can I have some?" I point to her cake. I'm in a terrible need of some food, especially something sweet.

"Sure, get yourself a fork and tell me what happened today."

I quickly change my clothes before I go to the kitchen. I'm slowly coming down from my high from orgasm, getting back down to reality.

I grab a bottle of whisky and take two glasses from the cabinets, taking them all on the table in the living room.

"Oh, boy. That bad?" Sam asks, eyeing the bottle in my head.

I rarely ever drink hard drinks. If I do, there must be a hell of a big reason for it, and it's usually because of a very bad thing. It was years ago since I drank something that strong, but I always keep it at home just in case.

You never know what can happen. And when will my brother's fiancée leave him in the church on their wedding day and go away with another man.

"The worst ever," I say, sitting down on the couch. "Victoria left this morning with another man and it seems like she forgot to mention that."

Sam's mouth falls open in a wide 'O', her eyes getting big. "No way! Brooke, you're shitting me! She left Braden? Your brother? For another man?!"

I nod slowly, pouring the whisky in glasses and giving one to Sam. "Yep. To raging bitches, destroying good men. May her life be a pure hell," I say bitterly, clinking my glass with Sam.

She's got a stunned expression on her face. It seems like she just can't comprehend it. "I can't believe anyone would ever leave your brother. I mean, Brooke, that's Braden Campbell for fuck's sake!"

I give her a serious look. "Believe it or not, there are women out there who don't want my brother. Never though that would be his own fucking fiancée." 

Sam leans back on the couch in complete shock. "Well ... A good thing in this is that he's single." She gives me a dry grin.

I grimace. "Don't even think about it. I swear, if any of you go after him ..." I shake my head. I've known them for too long and God knows Braden doesn't need one of them in his life. He never showed any interest in them, anyway, so I wouldn't say they were his type, no matter how gorgeous they are.

Or maybe he's just respecting that they're my friends. Either way, I don't know what's going to happen now, but I know he's going to hurt for a long time and I don't think my best friends would be the best ones to make him feel better, no matter how great they are at all times. 

Sam licks her fork with a dreamy look and I give her a grimace. "I'm having a visitor tonight, by the way," I say nonchalantly, looking forward while taking a swig out of my glass.

"Who?'' Sam asks suspiciously. I get her a look and her eyes widen. "No," she says. "No!" she repeats, a big smile marking her face.

I groan. "I don't have any answer to give to that."

"It's Damien, isn't it? I knew it, you bitch! I just won the bet!" Sam says excitedly, picking up her phone. 

I look at her in disbelief. "You guys made a bet about me screwing him?"