Chapter Nineteen: 18

It was now the day before Maya's birthday. She didn't feel like celebrating though. She was avoiding her dad and spending most weekends at Josh's dorm. Andrew was pretty understanding and gave them space when they needed it. Maya had found out that when they were in Philly Shawn had had an argument with Josh saying some things that she felt like overstepped the line.

It was about to strike midnight as she looked over at her alarm clock. She would be 18. Maya picked up her phone after it had buzzed a few times. There were a stack of messages already.

Riley: Happy Birthday peaches, hope you have a great day I will see you tonight x

Lucas: finally 18! Happy birthday Maya, hope you have the best day

Andrew: Happy birthday Mrs Matthews, hope you have a great day!

She chuckled at the last one. There was one person who was missing. Had Josh forgotten? Just as she began to think maybe he didn't know when her birthday was there was a knock at her window. She opened it to find her boyfriend holding flowers and a gift bag.

"Happy Birthday Gorgeous, I have something for you" He handed over the bag and kissed her. Inside was a silver necklace she had seen over a year ago in a shop window. She stood looking at that window for a while when she was out with Josh. He had remembered.

"Thank you Josh, I love it. I can't believe you remembered"

"I remember everything you say. So have things gotten better here"

"Dad spoke to me last night. Wasn't much but I guess it's a start right"

"Im really sorry Maya I know it must be hard on you. Especially since my parent were okay with it. Speaking of my parents they wanted to know if you wanted to come to Philly this weekend. They wanted to have a family dinner for your birthday"

"Of course you know I love your family"

"Oh and of course a certain little girl had been driving Morgan insane to see you"  Maya laughed. Josh's family had always been hers ever since Riley took her to a family Christmas one year.

"Josh do you maybe want to stay here tonight. Dad is leaving soon for a trip so he won't be here in the morning and mom is okay with you being here"

"Well I may or may not have hoped you would say that. I brought a change of clothes"

They laid down in her bed. He traced circles along her hips. He loved being in this moment with her. It had been a while since he had been try to touch her. Being so fragile from her loss he knew she needed time. That things wouldn't automatically go back to how they were before. He just wanted to hold her and tell her that everything was going to be okay.

Josh woke up in the morning to the smell of pancakes. Maya's favourite. He carefully moved off the bed and made sure that Maya was in fact right about Shawn not being there. He was sneaking off to the bathroom when he heard a noise behind him.

"Good morning Josh"

"Good morning Mrs Hunter"

"We've had this conversation Josh it's Katy. How's Maya this morning?"

"She's still asleep. She seemed a lot happier last night than she has been in a while"

"Well good. For the record Josh I'm glad you two are together. You make her very happy"

Just as Josh was about to answer Maya came walking out of her room. She looked between her mom and Josh. She was worried about what they have been talking about.

"Happy birthday baby, pancakes for breakfast?" Katy asked while hugging Maya.

"Thank mom"

Maya grabbed Josh's hand and brought him down to the kitchen table. Katy always made this special breakfast for her. Maya spent most of the day with her mom and Josh just like she wanted to. Although she really wished Shawn could have been there, no matter how bad their relationship had been the last few weeks.

A/N: Lean on me first chapter out now!
I don't know how long it will be before I can write another chapter for all of the books but I will be back as soon as possible