Chapter Twenty-Seven: Graduation

Graduation day came around quick. The whole family was there. They went through the normal ceremony. The whole time Maya was on the stage there was one person she kept her eyes on the whole time. Josh was sitting next to Shawn with Ellie on his lap. After the ceremony they all planned to go out for dinner with the Matthews. Riley had other plans but the rest of the group accepted the invitation.

After all the formal stuff was out of the way all of the students went to find their families. Riley was off talking to her parents. Lucas was with his mom. Then there was Maya. She considered herself the luckiest. Her mom, dad, boyfriend and his niece were all waiting. Just as she was about to walk over she was almost knocked over by Ellie running over to her.

"Well if it isn't my favourite in the Matthews family" Ellie just laughed as Maya held her and went over to the others.

"El I told you to wait"

"She's fine Josh" He kisses her

"Uncle Josh you are going to give her cooties"

"That's right uncle Josh, go away" Maya winked at him. "Hello family" Both Katy and Shawn gave her a hug.

Maya decided she would ride with Josh to the graduation dinner. The whole way there he was holding her hand, like she loved. She was looking forward to the future. She had gotten into NYU, Josh asked her to move in with him, his parents finally accepted their relationship. To Maya nothing could be better. As she went to get out of the car Josh pulled her back in.

"I want you to open this here"

"Josh you didn't have to get me anything"

"Just open it Maya"

She opened the small box and sitting in it was a key and a ring.

"Uh what's this?"

"It's a key to our apartment and a promise ring. I told you no engagement ring yet. That time will come" To her this was more than enough. She knew how he felt about it her. It was exactly the same way she felt about him.

"Thank you I love it" she kissed him and grabbed his hand guiding him into the restaurant.

As they sat around the table the family was talking and catching up. Josh found himself yet again losing his girlfriend to his niece. Not that it was anything new he had lost time with her for years to Riley. Shawn took the time to grill Josh over the new apartment and promise ring. He almost died when he saw the ring on her finger. He was there to witness Cory and Topanga's graduation day proposal.  He wasn't too keen on his own daughter getting engaged on her graduation day.

Sitting around looking at her friends and family Maya realised for the first time in her life how lucky she was. She had everything she wanted. She found herself staring into space.

"You okay babe?"

"Yep, more than alright. Love you"

"Love you too"

"I'm glad we got our someday"