14

a/n: remember when that time I said "possible slow updates but it's unlikely bc i have no self control". that lasted two days didn't it

Troye's pov

"Jake! No! Get back in bed right now or I swear to the lord and heavens above I will lace my melatonin in your food!" I squawk at the silly boy who thought I wouldn't notice if he sneaked out of my bedroom while I made breakfast. 

He jumps and turns to me with a guilty smile, "Sorrrrry."

"Yeah, sorry is right. Back to bed you go." I wave him off while stirring our pot of soup.

Leek and pea soup along with carrots and peanut butter are to be served this morning, all good great choices I picked up at the supermarket yesterday. I did some research before retrieving the items, of course, and they're all super great for the lungs. 

I know the recipe for the soup from my grandmother, she used to make it for papa all of the time after he quit smoking. There's always a document of the recipe lying around on Dad's computer so it was quite easy to find. 

Jacob huffs dramatically and heads back to my room. I crack a smile, he'll just have to wait for me to finish. 

He's only been staying with us for four days and I swear they have been the chillest, in the best sense of the word. Quite great company, the boy is.

Minutes pass and our soup is soon finished. I pour it into two small bowls and put the rest in a container for Dad. I hum to myself as usual while I set up a large plate of carrots and peanut butter, arranging them in a perfect little circle around the edge of the plate. 

When everything is just right, I pat myself on the back and make my way to my room with the platter of food, the two bowls fitting just right in between the side dish. As I enter my room I spot Jacob staring at my incomplete artwork again. 

"This outline, this is new." He infers, keeping his eyes on the paper.

I walk up behind him and set the platter down next to my work. 

"Mhm, what about it?" I whisper and pull up my spare chair to the desk next to Jacob.

"Thank you," He mutters as I hand him his bowl of soup and scoot the plate closer to him. 

"What is this? It looks like cursive." He points at the traces of letters located at the top of the piece. 

"That's because it is," I smile and take a spoon of soup in my mouth. 

He turns his head to me and nods it to the side.

"It is?" He asks.

I nod and set my bowl down, picking up the pencil in my bin. I bring the lead to the letters you can barely make out and place gentle strokes between them to connect them together into words. 

"The boy with an imagination unlike anyone else? What's that supposed to mean?" He questions, picking up a carrot from the plate and swirling it around in the soup. He looks up at me curiously as he pops the tiny little carrot in his mouth.

"Oh, you know, just something that caught my attention. It's nothing, I'll let you see again when it's finished, but until then." I slip the paper from his fingers and hide it away in my drawer, "No more looking."

He scrunches up his nose and pouts, "You're no fun."

I shrug and dip a carrot in peanut butter, biting into it and dropping the rest in my soup.

"I think I'm a lot of fun."

"You know I think is more fun?" He inquires, giving me a cheeky smile and sipping on the soup in his spoon. 

"Hmm, who?" I retort.

He gives me a big toothy grin, "Your mum. When are we going to see her?"

"Tomorrow, nine am. We've got to take the tube there because Dad will be working an early shift to get home for dinner." I inform him, nodding and setting the spoon on the plate.

"Now, are we gonna do this or what?" I ask, lifting the bowl up to my lips. 

He chuckles and places his spoon on the plate next to mine. 

"Hell yeah."

As we both put our lips to the bowls, I yell, "And go!"

Spoiler: he won the soup race :'(