Chapter 33

"What do you think Rose and John are doing right now?" Skye asked Grant as she rested her head in his lap while he played with her hair as he read.

"Having fun on their honeymoon."

"Yeah but like, what do you think they're doing?"

"Swimming with the dolphins."

Her head perked up and she asked excitedly, "really?"

He let out a small chuckle, "I don't know."

"Hey guys," said Fitz as he popped his head into the living room area, "Coulson needs us."

_______________

"You want to drop me off in the middle of Russia to save Romanoff?" Grant asked Coulson after Coulson had talked to the team.

"She never has an extraction plan, why do you need his help all of the sudden?" Fitz asked.

"Because she's been kidnapped and we've lost all signs of communication. Her tracker's been turned off and we fear the worst."

"Who has her?" Jemma asked.

"We fear that it's part of an old gang she used to know. When she still worked for the KGB she was married to a very powerful drug lord, when she caught him with another woman she killed him. His followers have been after her ever since."

"You think that they're taking revenge?"

Coulson nodded sadly, "I do, especially because the gang is now led by her ex- brother-in-law."

"Well of course he's going to want revenge," Ward sighed as he rubbed his temples. "Am I going in alone?"

"I can help!" Skye raised her hand.

Ward turned to her, "no, it's too dangerous."

"But I can help you!"

"Skye, no. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happened to you while you were on a mission with me."

She sighed and crossed her arms. Grant inwardly sighed, 'now she's mad, great. I'll deal with it after I save Nat, surely Skye will see my reasoning right?'

"How long until I go?"

"One hour."

_______________

"Skye-"

"No it's ok Grant, you should go get ready for your mission."

"Skye," he sighed.

"Whatever, I get it," she smiled tight-lipped as she sat with her computer in her bunk.

He opened his mouth to say something but then closed it again deciding to make it up to her later. He sighed and turned away from her bunk and left to go to his.

"I care about you too much to let anything happen to you," he remarked as he left.

"Uh-huh," she said, not even looking up from her laptop.

________________

"Alright," said Coulson as he handed Ward a parachute and lowered the cargo hold doors, "good luck."

Ward took the parachute and put it on, "thanks."

He walked over to Skye, "look Skye, I know you're upset, but I would not even be able to look at myself in the mirror if you were hurt while I was there to protect you. I refuse to be the kind of guy who lets the woman he loves die at the hands of drug lords," he kissed her on the top of her head.

She hugged him tightly. "I'm sorry about earlier. I do understand your reasoning, it's just that Nat's my friend and I want to help her get out of there safely."

He rubbed her back as he pulled her closer, "I'll get her out."

"I know you will," she kissed him on the cheek and he smiled at her as he jumped off the plane. Coulson closed the cargo hold doors after him and the team turned away to monitor comms.

Skye stopped in her tracks, "wait, did he just say that he loved me?"