the rain

tyler stood in the cold rain, looking up at the cloudy gray sky. he was in the midst of a huge grassy field. it was at that time of day that it was too light to call it night and too dark to call it day. tyler stared at the clouds, their edges enticing him. how can a thing thought of as simple be so beautiful? fat raindrops fell onto him, but he was already soaked. sometimes he wondered if anyone else saw the world the way he did.

tyler was alone. tyler wanted to leave everything. he was vulnerable.

"TAKE ME." he screamed hoarsely to the sky. a tear rolled down his cheek. "i'm not afraid. just end it. you win."

he heard someone calling his name. it was so far off though, it was as if the heavy wind didn't want him to hear.

"take me so i can be at peace. please." he choked when he said that last word.

he heard his name again, louder. it sounded like... josh? no, he was dreaming. his mind was bringing him what he wanted. he wanted to hold josh. if he had josh, maybe he would want to stick around a bit longer on this earth.

"tell me who i am." he whispered to the sky. "because right now, you and everyone else want me to love a girl, but i don't love girls. at least, i don't think so. TELL ME WHO I AM."

"TYLER!" this time he was sure of it. it was josh. but tyler didn't turn around. he waited, his head lolling back, looking at the sky. he was waiting for the sky to take him away.

someone grabbed his soaking face as rain spilled on him. the warm and wet hands brought tylers face level with josh's. josh was only inches away from him.

"tyler i-i'm here now. it's okay."

tyler sobbed. "josh, will anyone save me?"

tyler felt josh's finger trace his jaw. his hands weren't leaving his neck. even in the harsh cold, tyler felt warm with josh's body touching his. he felt safer.

"tyler. i will do everything i can. to save you." josh was dropping his hands when tyler took them back to his face, grabbed josh's, and pressed his lips to his. the kiss only lasted a second, but josh and tyler felt so electric and whole that the moment stretched itself out. everything was slowing down. tyler liked it slow. he liked that josh made things slow. tyler placed his chin on josh's shoulder, locking him in a tight embrace. tyler sobbed heavily into josh's shirt, his smell making tyler relieved. he had josh. everything was okay right then.

they hugged each other in the middle of the field, feeling like the only people in world as rain poured down on them.