phone call

josh sat on his couch at home, his headphones cranked all the way up.

he was interrupted by a buzzing under his hand. his phone. he paused his music and glanced at the caller ID.
000-0000.

what the fuck.

he pressed the accept button and pressed it to his ear.

"hello?" he mumbled, rubbing his eyes. whenever he listened to music he got in a slight trance.

"hi josh." whispered a voice. the line was fuzzy.

josh sat upright. "tyler?" he said hopefully. a grin split across his face.

"yeah. it's me." he sighed. silence.

"where are you calling from?"

"a psychiatric hospital."

"oh."

"yeah."

josh swallowed. tyler wasn't crazy, why was he there?

"what's it like?"

"kinda nice. i haven't met any of the kids but they all seem pretty close to each other. and the nurses are nice. and we went out onto a play structure and i went down the slide. the food is nasty though." he could hear tyler welling up with tears. "i don't wanna be here josh. i miss the world. from my window i can see the normal world with the cars and the people and i already miss it so much, i haven't even been here for a day yet. and my doctor says i might be here for six days because they're starting me on a new med. oh josh, i don't want to be here at all."

"i know tyler." he heard tyler sobbing on the line. "tyler do they have visiting hours there?"

"yes." the line crackled. "they're seven to eight pm." he whispered. "look i gotta go soon, but please come visit. i need you to."

"i will. and i'll bring you lots of good food." josh promised. "okay ty, goodbye. i love you."

"i love you too."