Chapter 13 - Induction Flight

Playlist:

❶ "The Rebellion Is Born"—The Last Jedi OST

Tascama awoke before her Fleet escort did. She quickly showered and prepped her hair into a tight bun at the base of her neck as the induction manual had instructed.

By the time Tascama had dressed, Ensign Zofa had already dressed and packed her small kit bag. "Get a move on it. We're supposed to meet the rest of the Padawan in the lobby in five minutes."

Tascama threw her toiletries and dirty clothing back in her bag before following Ensign Zofa to the lobby. When the girl arrived, the crowd overwhelmed her. Fifteen Padawan had assembled with their Fleet escorts in the small reception area, bringing the number to thirty.

Strange smells assaulted her nose. Padawan of many different species ranged in age from twelve to twenty. Realizing she was the youngest, Tascama felt small and insignificant amid the older students.

The chronometer struck 0700 as two Jedi Knights dressed in black entered the hostel door. One was tall and lanky with a shock of messy black hair, and the other was enormous and strong with brown hair.

The enormous one yelled out with a drawl, "Hush up, Padawan. Attention! I am Jedi Knight Wei'ahtt Ahhzteen, and this is Jedi Knight Tandolleau Duwamba. You will refer to us as 'Sir.'"

The Padawan stood in silence with their arms at their sides and their bags on the floor. "Fleet escorts, dismissed. Thank you for your service. The Jedi Order greatly appreciates it."

After the ensigns departed the hostel, Jedi Wei'ahtt Ahhzteen said, "Now, I count sixteen of you. Where are the other four? Ah, there come those lolly-gaggers right now. You four—front and center. Right here. Can you explain why you are late?"

One of the younger boys whined, "Well, it took so long for the turbovater to get to our floor ..."

"Jedi Duwamba, do you hear what I hear?" Wei'ahtt asked. "Which of you Padawan can tell me what is the only answer in this situation?"

No one raised their hands at first. After a few seconds, Tascama slowly raised her hand.

"Yes?"

"Padawan Tascama Yagus, sir."

"Well, what is it?"

"No excuse, sir," Tascama mumbled.

"I can't hear you."

"No excuse, sir," Tascama shouted.

"That is correct, Padawan. I suggest the rest of you review your induction manuals as soon as we are aboard the shuttle. Collect your belongings and follow Jedi Duwamba," Wei'ahtt said.

 Collect your belongings and follow Jedi Duwamba," Wei'ahtt said