Chapter 50 - Learning to Forgive

Luke landed on Khalka, but kept the engines running

Luke landed on Khalka, but kept the engines running. Wei'ahtt and his squad exited the shuttle with little more than a few scratches. When Luke spotted Naluma, steam hissed from the thrusters. He parted the haze with the Force and approached his wife.

Naluma's shoulders dropped noticeably. "You're safe. Thank the Force." She stroked his face, running her hand down his jawline. "But why didn't you stop at Koda Station first?"

He checked around the landing pad, to the young faces from the rescue mission. "After everything that's happened, I had to make sure that the crew made it home safely." 

She nodded.

"Anyway, something else in the Force steered me homeward. A kicking. A shifting. A lifeforce, clear as the hunger in my stomach." Luke gazed at her belly.

The X-wings descended from the sky, Kallay waving from inside the cockpit of Luke's ship. Leaves and dirt whirled in the wake, pausing the reunion.

Once the debris settled, Luke placed his hands on her womb. "A boy?" he said with wonder.

Naluma looked at her feet, peeking at Luke through her long eyelashes. She smiled.

Luke allowed himself to forget the dreadful mission for a moment. "Hello ... Anakin." 

He glanced over to the ramp where Wei'ahtt coordinated ordered the group. "Pilar, activate the air group. Zeke, refuel and head back up to the last jump point. The rest of you, take defensive positions until we get a chance to clear the ships and make sure we weren't tracked." His booming voice carried over the landing field as the Jedi Knights and Padawan carried out his orders.

"Relax, Naluma." Luke stroked her strained face. "Artoo stayed with my ship the whole time. No way they placed a tracker on it. Just standard operating procedure."

His eyes searched her, probing. "Are you feeling okay?"

"For the moment. Just exhausted." In answer to his question, Naluma threaded her fingers through Luke's hair, and pressed her lips to his. "Anakin. I like that. Yes, Anakin!"

She set her hands on top of his. "Did you feel that?"

Luke could hardly speak.

"Have you talked to Dr. Kalonia?"

Another blast of steam erupted from the shuttles' engines. Naluma's brow furrowed, and then she smiled.

"Yes, she told me to go to Koda Station for a pre-natal exam."

"And have you?" Luke asked with raised eyebrows.

Naluma stared back at him in answer.

Look inhaled and raised his eyebrows at her. "Come on, we're going now."

"What about Ben?"

Gnawing his lower lip, he wrapped his arm around her shoulders and led her aboard. "He's stable but could use some care that we can't provide here."