Chapter 56 - Plans

Luke stood outside the Force-work arena, observing the class in session while he caught his breath. He had just arrived back from reporting to the Senate and could not wait to see Naluma.

"Focus. Use the Force to anticipate. Feel the Padawan around you and work together. Form a shield." Naluma walked behind the first- and second-year Padawans, adjusting arms and shifting legs.

She activated the twenty remotes with the Force and stepped behind the safety barrier in the Force-work room in the South Wing. Padded walls lined the perimeter, while thick pads tiled the floor. The ceiling rose four stories in height. Unlike the combat arena which had obstacles and platforms, this room was empty except for the small spectator area near the main hatch.

The Padawan deflected the first shots. However, as the barrage continued, two bolts out of three found their targets, numbing the Padawan.

Naluma looked on, shaking her head. "You have to be able to do this. Every mistake is a lost limb or a lost life. Again."

The Padawan groaned as the remotes fired up again. This round, two of the twelve Padawan were blocking the bolts.

Luke entered the arena. "Padawan, stand down."

Naluma jumped at Luke's voice. She turned to him, ready to hug him. His glare stopped her midway.

He Force-pushed the remotes to their storage shelf. "Padawan, extinguish your sabers. Practice pulling the remote to your hands and returning it to the shelf. Begin."

Luke grabbed Naluma and dragged her by the arm into the corridor

Luke grabbed Naluma and dragged her by the arm into the corridor. "What do you think you're doing? They aren't ready for concert work. They can't even feel the Force in other people yet."

"I'm teaching them how to survive. If they can't work together—"

Luke sensed the fear emanating from her. He raised his eyebrows. "The visions are back?"

Naluma nodded with tears in her eyes.

"The same?"

She shook her head. "I see faces—their faces," she cried pointing toward the arena. "They'll be slaughtered if they can't work together."

He embraced her and held her, allowing her to cry. "It's your hormones, Naluma. Doctor warned us about this. Force-visions are sent to strike fear and immobilize us."

"But what if it's a warning?" She pulled away from him. "Have you had any other leading from the Force?"

Luke turned his head away. He bit his lip and shook his head. "Nothing. Only a dark cloud obscuring everything."

"That should be a warning by itself, Luke. Remember the vision years ago? The darkness consuming the Order. This is it. It's coming. This is the only warning we're getting, and I'm not going to let them be unprepared."