Chapter 29 - Escape

Naluma pulled herself hand-over-hand up the bulkhead until she reached the balcony railings of the luxury staterooms

Naluma pulled herself hand-over-hand up the bulkhead until she reached the balcony railings of the luxury staterooms. With little effort, she swung herself across the vertical spindles to the next mezzanine. When she grabbed the next bar, it teetered away from the ship.

Loud voices in the next stateroom rose above the drone of the Empress' quad engines. Naluma peered through the cracked curtains and observed a pair of armed pirates snatching a young couple. Once the hatch to the room closed, she grabbed the neighboring spindle and heaved herself onto the balcony rail.

Sliding her feet across the narrow beam like a tight rope walker, Naluma leaped around the privacy wall to the next promenade. Her heartbeat raced so that she nearly missed Luke reaching out to her.

Naluma.

Grunting, she sent through mindspeech, Concentrating right now, honey.

Where are you?

Hanging off the bulkhead trying to get to our stateroom. She clenched her teeth together as she swung to the next rail.

Pirates have taken over the ship. 

That's what I figured, but the ones I ran into were a little more organized than traditional pirates. Names I picked up were GT-6399 and GT-6396.

Imps. Explains the E-11 blasters.

You still in the parlor?

Yeah, we're barricaded in.

I'll meet you there after I grab our sabers. Guess our cover is blown.

Bring a medkit if you find one. Be careful. Love you.

Love you more.

Naluma swung to the next rail to her own stateroom. She peeked over the rail as the corridor hatch shifted. Holding on with her fingers and the Force as the "pirates" entered the suite, she dropped quickly.

A male and a female that moved in short, measured steps inspected the suite. After checking the refresher unit, the closet, and even under the bed, they moved out to the balcony. When one checked under the bed and the other in the refresher, she yanked up and reached for the balcony above her. She came up short, but levitated the last two meters with the Force and latched on, dangling by a pair of rusted spindles that threatened to snap like before. The troopers in disguise looked over the rail and to either side, but they did not notice Naluma as she held her breath above them.

She heard the screened door squeak open and dared a look down. The two troopers masquerading as pirates exited onto the patio, checked left, right, and below the rail. Naluma held her breath and almost gasped at the tickle on her leg. A drop of blood squiggled down and dribbled off her shin, but missed the female by inches. The man spoke first.