Prologue

Prologue

"Danny." My friend Cody shouted from behind me. He was running to catch up with me, it was the first day of high school.

"Hey Cody, what's up?"

"Nothing, I was walking with my sister and her best friend but then I saw you." Cody and I met when we were eight, we were in the same soccer team. I knew that he had a sister but I had actually never met her. It was really weird, but every time I went over to their house, I would hear footsteps running up the stairs and a door close quickly. Its not that I didn't know what she looked like, I mean there are pictures of her and Cody all over the house, she was absolutely beautiful but Cody didn't really mention her a lot.

I turned around to see if I could see this girl but before I did get a look. "Hey," Cody said, interrupting me. "Where, are the rest of the guys?"

"I think their parents are taking them to the first day, that's what Ryan said anyway." Our entire soccer team was going to the same school as us.

Cody and I were about to walk into the back school gates when he stopped. "Sorry mate, I have to wait for Maria." I just nodded and headed over to the gang. Cody didn't talk about what happened to Maria in primary school, he said that it wasn't his story to tell but I knew that something really bad happened to her.

I spotted our friends, Ryan Willaby, Caleb Harris, Mitch Oakly, Neil Grayson and Tyler Daley. I was talking with Mitch when Cody came into the school yard, his arm over a girl's shoulders, the girl was about an inch shorter then Cody, her hair was a brown colour with blonde streaks through them. It went about an inch below her shoulders. That's when I noticed that her arms were linked with another girl's, she was about the same height as the one under Cody's shoulder but her hair was short and dark brown. "Holy shit." I heard Neil say beside me. "Who the fuck is that?"

"I have no idea." I said, Cody left the two girls and ran over to us.

"Hey guys."

"Who. The. Fuck. Is. That?" Neil asked, stressing each word, pointing in the direction of the girls.

"That's Maria and Gemma." I knew who Maria was but Gemma was a total mystery but I was dying to find out the one under Cody's protection. Cody noticed the interest in all of the guys and quickly added. "And both are totally off limits to you."

"Only one of them is your sister right?" Neil asked.

"Yeah." Cody hesitated.

"So that means that you can only taboo one of them. So which one can we go after?" Neil said, rubbing his hands together.

"You touch either of them and I will personally skin you alive." We all backed off after that.

After the grade got their timetables we were told to head to science, which was boring, when it was finally recess, I met up with the guys, Cody was holding an ice pack to his hand. "What happened to you?"

"I grabbed the metal when it was still hot." I tried so hard not to laugh but I couldn't help it. "You're a fucking idiot."

"I know." Cody then told me about what happened, how Gemma laughed at him when he swore and dropped the pipe. "Come on I have to find Maria."

"Why?"

"Mum gave me money and I have to give her some." Cody started to walk off.

"Wait." I said when we were far enough away from the guys. "You're actually going to let me meet your twin sister?"

"Well, yeah, Danny I've known you for years, I wouldn't trust anyone else with Maria." Cody smiled before making his way over to E block.

"Wow, I didn't know I meant that much to you." I joked, Cody pushed me away from him.