Chapter 16

Year 12

I stretched out my neck, yanking my headphones off my head, glancing at the clock in my room I saw that it was just after midnight. Without meaning to, I looked over towards Maria's window. My family had moved finally next door to Maria's family, and I had chosen the room that gave me the perfect view of Maria's room. I saw Maria bolt up in her bed, she was usually asleep at this time of night. I was only awake because Neil had convinced me to play some COD with him against some people in America. I watched as Maria moved her hand to her mouth, I didn't notice the tears until the moon came out from behind the clouds and shone in her window, illuminating the drops coming down her cheeks.

"Gotta go guys." I said into the mouth piece, before any of them could complain, I had turned off my Xbox, and was jumping out my window, climbing up to Maria's and slipping into her room.

Maria watched me, her big blue eyes glassy with tears. I didn't say anything, because a) I didn't know what to say to her to make her feel better and b) because I didn't want Cody to know that I had snuck into his sister's room. I reached her, and held her while she cried herself to sleep. I was about to leave but her hold on me was so strong that I just couldn't bare to leave her.

An alarm woke me up the next morning, but it didn't sound like my normal alarm. 

So baby pull me close in the backseat of your Rover

That I know you can't afford

Bite that tattoo on your shoulder.

Pealing my eyes open, I quickly realised that I was not in my bedroom. Maria was still in my arms, her face buried in my neck. A small smile played on her lips, as she turned and turned off her alarm. Neither of us spoke, I'm actually pretty sure that Maria went back to sleep. But then.

Ah, I wanna cut through the clouds, break the ceiling

I wanna dance on the roof, you and me alone

I wanna cut to the feeling, oh yeah

I kept my eyes shut as I felt Maria moving around trying to get out of my hold. "Danny." She whispered, as I loosened my grip on her.

"Five more minutes Heaven."

"Danny, you are in my room, if you don't get up soon, Cody's going to come in and kick your ass."

"He can try." I chuckled, before getting up leaving Maria sitting on her bed, her legs under her butt, my shirt hanging loosely on her shoulders. "I'll see you in a few." I kissed her quickly before climbing out her window. I clambered into my own room, grabbing the towel that was hanging on my desk chair, I sent her a wave and a smirk before going into my awake household. Jackson was probably still asleep with Emily in his room, I could hear Alex and mum down stairs, dad was walking out of the bathroom a towel around his waist, freshly shaven.

"Don't you have your own bathroom?" I asked.

"Yes, but your mother was in there this morning and I was in a hurry. The firm is pushing me to take on more cases, so I have to leave pretty quickly."

I nodded my head because I had no idea how to respond to him, we swapped places and I took the quickest shower of my life.

I drove the twins to school, Cody complaining that Maria was in the front seat, when he was the oldest, I was about to say something but Maria interrupted me. "Yeah well, you aren't Danny's girlfriend. So you can suck it." I caught Cody's eye in my review mirror, and we both burst into laughter.