Chapter 6

Closer and Closer We Get

MatchMakingFairy: Bailey and I left Maria at the library, I just know that she is going to lose track of the time, can you make sure that she gets home okay?

I read Gem's message over and over again, I was sitting in my car, watching the front entrance of the school waiting for the girl that I hadn't been able to stop thinking about since she came out in nothing but a towel. I had to readjust myself in my seat. Fuck I couldn't get that image out of my head.

I was so concentrated on my phone that I almost missed Maria running after the bus that was pulling away. Her face contorted into annoyance, and I watched as she stomped her foot. "How cute." I said to myself. Maria sighed, readjusted her bag on her back and started to walk in the direction of the train station that was about a twenty-minute walk from the school, I watched as she walked and flipped through her phone, looking for a song for her to listen to, and that's when the sky opened up.

I knew I had to help her now, so I pulled up beside her and slowed to a roll, I pushed the button on Dad's car and the passenger side window rolled down. "Hey Heaven!" I called at her. "Need a lift?" I smiled as I watched her recognise who I was.

"Oh my god, Danny you're a life saver!" Maria pretty much squealed, as she bounced slightly in excitement. I smiled wider as she jumped into my car. "You just saved me from getting completely wet." Maria's eyes widened for a moment when she realised how dirty she sounded, I couldn't help but chuckle at how cute she was, I grabbed her hand.

"We don't want you getting sick now do we Heaven? Cause if you did, I wouldn't be able to see you everyday at school." I kissed her hand softly brushing my lips over her skin. My eyes never left the road.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see that there was redness in her cheeks, I loved knowing that I have such an affect on her. Our hands were still entangled, we stopped at a red light and Cody started to ring her. Maria tried to get her hand free but I wasn't ready to let her warmth leave me. Maria smiled and used her other hand to answer her brother.

I turned the music down so that she could hear her brother, but I didn't take into account that Cody would so loud that I could hear him as well. "Mare!" Cody yelled. "Where are you? The bus just passed our place and you didn't get off it, are you okay? Are you hurt? Do I need to call someone?" Cody fired off his questions so fast that I was surprised that Maria was keeping up with him.

"Whoa there Cody! I'm fine, I missed the bus but don't worry I'm getting a lift, I'll be home soon, love you. Bye." And with that she hung up, she sighed and I was thankful for the red light, I took her in, her skin was fresh and free of make-up, her hair had tiny droplets of water in it, holding on to the thick curly strains, her blue eyes were closed and I was wishing that I could see those blue gems.

When her eyes did finally open, I had to take in a quick breath, for the first time I saw Maria Hart's eyes, relaxed and calm, not panicked and frantic. It was beautiful. "Do you want me to drop you home?" I asked.

"Yes please."

"No problem Heave, you know that I would do anything for you, all you have to do is ask." I winked and turned my attention back to the road. I wanted in that moment to know what she was thinking about, whether she was thinking about me or us, was she thinking about something completely different? I would have given anything in that moment to be able to read her mind.

We rode the rest of the ride listening to my music that I had blue toothed to the speakers, when Jet Lag came on Maria sang with me. Our voices matched in perfect harmony.