Chapter 4

What Is Going On?

"Danny!" my mother called from down the hall, "are you dressed yet? We're going to be late if we don't go soon!"

"Where are we even going mum?" I asked, putting on the button down shirt, she threw me earlier this morning. I wasn't even greeted with an answer from her, this morning I was just sitting in the game room, playing some of the games that dad had bought us under mum's nose, when she came in, saying that my brothers and I had to be ready in the next hour to go.

That's all I got from the woman.

Within the half hour we were out the front of a green and cream house and a little old lady came running over to my parents. "Katrina! Joseph! You made it with your boys!" the lady looked to be about 5 foot 3, seventyish and had a familiar face.

"Hello Signora Hart." Mum said, hugging the lady again. "Yeah we brought our boys, can you believe it, me a mother of three boys... no girls..."

"And I bet you are the most amazing mother." The lady crooned, taking my mum's face in her hands. "You have grown so much since the last time I saw you." 

"Well Signora, the last time you saw me, I was pre birth from Jackson." Mum waved at my older brother. Mum and dad had gotten pregnant a few years after graduation from high school, mum had told us the story so many times, she was so scared that dad was going to leave her that she kept it a secret for a first few months, then she began showing and she couldn't hide it anymore. Dad however was so happy that they were having a baby, leaving never crossed his mind and he still reminds mum everyday that it never will.

You see my father's parents were rich and make sure that people know it, mum's parents were living pay check to pay check, and they saw mum as lower-class citizens. Even though we still see my Grandmother and Grandfather mum doesn't join us when we do.

A few years after Jackson, they had me, and then Alex was what they joked to be named 'Whoops'

As soon as the introductions were made, we were ushered into the front door by the woman who insisted that we call her Nonna. I swear Cody had a Nonna...

I didn't really think much about it until I saw Gemma in the back yard with her family. Okay, seriously what was happening? Mum turned at the sound of her name and was greeted by an old man, who wasn't speaking English. "Sig Hart!" she shouted before engulfing the old man into a massive bear hug, the old man was probably a few years older then who I presumed is his wife, but sign of a happy life was seen in the lines around his eyes and mouth.

The old man – Sig Hart – turned to my brothers and I, and with a hand over his heart, said. "Nonno." His Italian accent was thick, but he got across what he wanted. That's what he wanted us to call him.

"Kat!" Gemma's mum shouted around the old man, a platter in her hand. She got scolded by Nonna before putting down the plate and running over to my mother.

"Andie!" mum pretty much squealed... mum never squealed. My brothers and I looked between each other, and then we all looked at dad, who was just standing there with a crazy stupid smile on his face.

"Joe!" Gemma's mum shouted again and hugged my dad.

"Hey Andie." He smiled and hugged her back.

There was a lot of hugging and introducing that I didn't even notice that we had more people arriving until there was yet another squeal.

Everyone whipped their heads around and I saw Maria and Cody's mum standing there with her kids and some of the guys from the gang. "Andie! Kat!" Brooke yelled and the three women broke into tears and hugged. "Its been so long." Brooke gave a watery laugh.