Chapter 8

Birthday Blues

I was waiting at the back gate on April 9th, I had Maria's birthday present on my backpack, my heart started racing when I saw Brooke's car driving down the hill, but it dropped when I saw it was only Cody coming out of the car.

"Where's Mare?" I asked.

"What? No happy birthday dude? No fuck you're getting old Cody? Just where's your sister." I rolled my eyes at my best friend's drama.

"Happy Birthday dude, fuck you're getting old now." Cody rolled his eyes in response.

"Maria is at home, mum took her temp and she told her to get back into bed, Maria wanted to come today but mum wasn't having any of it."

"So wait? She's at home alone? With no one to take care of her?"

"Whoa, chill out dude. She's fine, mum seems to think that she okay to stay at home alone."

There was something else in his voice as he said this, something that had me worried, but before I could ask him what was up, Gemma came running out of now where, presents in her hands. "Hey Man-Whore, happy birthday." She gave him a small pink bag that made Cody roll his eyes. "Where's my bff on this fine school day, there is no why Mare would miss out on a school day that falls on her birthday, as much as she hates getting attention, she endures it to spend her birthday with her favourite people." Gemma glaced at me with a sly smile on her face.

"Mare's sick, mum left her at home."

"Alone?" Gemma asked. "Wait are you talking about flu sick or..."

"Flu sick Gemma! Mare hasn't been that in years." Cody snapped.

"Hey! I was there that day as well, plus even thought you shared a womb with her, she and I have a connection that can never be separated. I am aware of how well she's doing but..." Cody and Gemma stopped abruptly, realising that they had an audience.

"What the hell are the two of you talking about? What's the matter with Maria?" I was growing worried for my girlfriend, was she okay?

"It's not our story to tell." Gemma said finally.

I was about to argue but then Neil started to shout us over to him, Bailey was already with them, my mind was still reeling though.

Was Maria okay?

I sent off a quick text to Jackson knowing that he was still in his first two periods of the morning.

Me: Hey Jax, can you text me when your free is? I need to call in a favour.

RoleModel: free is after recess, what is needed?

Me: I need a lift. Did you bring the over priced thing that hannover grands bought you?

RoleModel: you know I did, meet me at senior parking after recess

I was walking up to my mates at recess when I saw Gemma and Bailey, holding up a phone to their ears. As soon as Gemma saw me, her face broke out into a massive smile.

"I know, and that's why I have a surprise for you." She said into the phone, she waited for a second and replied to whatever Maria said. "I've just brightened your day." Gemma held out her phone for me to grab but at the last second, Bailey snatched out of her hand.

"Hey Chicka!" and she then ensued what could only be called a shrieking rendition of 'Happy Birthday'

when she was finished, she waited for Maria to talk. "Welcome!" she then pulled away from the phone and shouted. "Oi Fuck Boi," that was her loving nickname for me, I had tried to get her to stop but when I suggested it Mare just told me to let it lay. "Guess who!" she then finally handed me the phone.