Chapter 19

Two Years... For What?

My sweet girl, didn't want to report Zeke for what he almost did, she knew that after high school she would never have to see him again. I didn't like that she was letting him get away with it but I had to respect her wishes.

HSC was just around the corner, all of us graduating a little over a month ago. I was studying my history textbook when I saw Maria come into her room and collapse onto her bed.

Without thinking I grabbed my phone.

Me: you okay baby?

My Heaven: I think I might die!

Me: what! Are you okay?

I started pacing around my room, before my phone vibrated in my hand. Maria had sent a picture of me from her room.

My Heaven: Danny, I'm fine it was just a gruelling study session

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, I knew that Maria was in a good place mentally, but sometimes when she says things like that I get worried, like any boyfriend would.

Me: I know baby; I'm just being an amazing boyfriend.

My Heaven: I love you

And with that single text I was jumping out my window and climbing into hers. Maria didn't move from her bed; she knew that I was there. I joined her on the mattress, pulling her close to me.

"Hey baby." She said sleepily.

"Hey Heaven." Maria had been sleeping more and more lately, the early mornings combined with the stress of the upcoming exams, it wasn't unusual to find Maria having a nap in the afternoon.

Pixie came running into her room, having heard both of our voices, the little dog barked before jumping up onto the massive bed. snugging her little body between us. Maria smiled at me, her hand resting on her puppy's back.

It didn't take long for her eyes to grow heavy and her breathing to even out. My Heaven was sleeping in less then a minute.

I knew that Cody and Gemma were home so I left Maria in her bed, and joined them in the lounge room.

Where the two of them were making out, "Hey!" I said, trying to get their attention but also make sure that Maria didn't wake up. "I need to talk to the both of you." Something that been playing on my mind for a little while at the moment, I wanted to ask Maria about it but there was something that was holding me back. "Have you guys ever been scared that Maria might try again?"

Both of them look at each other, getting pretty quickly what I was talking about. "There was a time, years ago, that I thought that she wasn't going okay again," Gem said, "it was about the same time that she was with Zeke, but I don't think she's been feeling that at all since the two of you started dating." Gem looked at Cody is if asking for confirmation.

"Yeah, I mean she has been a bit quieter lately but I think that has to do with study and not due to..." even after all these years it was still hard for him to say the words.

I nodded my head, and went to get up before something else came to my mind. "I want to marry her someday."

"WHAT!" Cody shouted, I turned around to see if Maria had woken up, after about 2 minutes and no Maria I turned around to see Cody right in my face, Gemma was behind him trying and failing to cover her laughter. "What the fuck did you just say?"

"That I want to marry her, I'm saying this now and to you because I know that she doesn't consider Craig her father, I'm going to ask Brooke when I actually know that she will say yes, and when we're much older but I also want to ask you permission to marry your sister."