The Incident

(profanities- I'm not gonna put a warning in every chapter, so this is the last one :P sorry)

I wake up with a stiff neck. I sit up, rubbing my eyes. I'm still on the couch, the blanket Ethan and I were sharing last night falling off my shoulders. I notice a piece of paper on the ground. I pick it up, and read it:

Alex,

Mark had us get up early to shoot a vid at the park. Everyone went, and Mark wanted to wake you to tell you, but I told him you were up all night making his shirt and that I'd leave a note. So, here it is! He says if you want to take a small break you can. But please don't look around. See you when we get back, and make my t-shirt super awesome!

Ethan :)

I smile. What a dork. And his handwriting is so neat... I place the note in my backpack and take out some clothes. I get changed in the bathroom, brush my hair and teeth, and walk out. My stomach growls. I ignore it. I have too much to do, I'll eat later.

I sit back on the couch and set the blanket aside. I stretch. I came in leggings and a sweater slept under a fluffy blanket. Being in jean-shorts and my new Undertale t-shirt with my hair up in a loose ponytail feels so so nice. I quickly pull out my phone and send a text to my neighbor.

Hey, Mrs Kramer! Do you mind stopping by and giving Phoenix her breakfast and dinner? I'm going to be out for the day and i won't be home in time for her dinner. Thanks so much!

Good, now I don't have to worry about Phoenix eating. She always has time to eat.

I continue sketching Ethan's shirt, and, after an hour, I finish cartoon-him. I smile. He's got a big, dorky smile on his face, just like the one he has after he laughs. I start to sketch the words below.

After I finish the big block-lettered "get", the door bangs open. I jump, my computer slipping off the couch with a soft clunk. I hear Ethan laugh. "You make it to easy!" I get up and place my stuff on the couch, grumbling. I check the clock. Eleven-thirty.

"Well, you never said when you guys were getting back, and slamming the door open doesn't make it hard to scare someone!" I argue, sitting on the couch again and going back to drawing. Ethan walks over and plops next to me, while Tyler and Amy head onto the next rooms.

"Can I see it?" I show him the beginning. "What is it supposed to be?"

"Well, in the end, it'll be a 'Get Shit Stomped' t-shirt, except since some your fans are younger and can't curse, you're stomping a cartoon-turd to symbolize the word shit," I explain. He nods. Mark comes behind me, takes a look, and nods.

"Looks great, Alex."

"Thanks, Mark. Hey, I finished one of your t-shirts. Where do you want me to send it to?" I ask, looking up.

"My email. Here, can I see your computer?" I put down my sketch pad next to me, grabbing my laptop out of my backpack. I open the lid and unlock it, pulling up the design. I give the laptop to him and go to pick up my book, but it's gone.

"Where is my-" I look to see Ethan staring at a picture. I snatch it back, looking at the sketch he was examining— i feel myself pale. It's a picture I drew during my move to LA, when I was really depressed over leaving my family behind. It's a girl with a clamp attached to a chain on her wrist. The chain is attached to a 1000-pound weight. A few feet out of reach is the key to the clamp holding her captive to the weight. She's reaching desperately for the key and sobbing. It's colored in shades of black, red, and white, which makes it twice as dark.

I look up to find Mark and Ethan staring at it. I close the pad quickly and clear my throat. "Are you done with my computer?" I ask calmly. Mark blinks, and hands it back, a bit of red high on his cheeks. He murmurs something about recording a video and walks away. I go back to drawing, but I'm completely silent.

"I'm sorry, I was looking for the picture you drew of me and I-"

"It's okay, it's okay. Just... please don't look through this, it's like a diary." I say, my voice shaking slightly. He puts his hand on my shoulder. I hold it on my shoulder, looking up to him— his eyes are full of worry and guilt.

"Do you mind if I finish your t-shirt alone?" He nods, his cheeks dusted with pink, and gets up. He walks out of the room, and I here the door to his temporary room close. I feel tears prick the corner of my eyes but I rub the heel of my hand against them. No point crying over spilled milk— it's not the worst drawing they could have found.

After twenty minutes I finish the bubble letters. I upload the picture to my computer and color it online instead of on the picture. It'll take less time. I finish within an hour and set it aside. I pick up my sketch pad and start to sketch Mark's next t-shirt: boat dog. Why did I agree to come here? If I just said, "I can just draw at home." It would have been a lot easier...

Wait. I look up. Why am I here? I could've just stayed at my house and sent everything to them! I sit up straight, thinking. After a minute, I make up my mind. I'm leaving tonight.

(A/N)

Okay, so sorry I'm a bit late updating, I had a big homework assignment from English and coloring always takes me forever. So, yeah. Ethan found one of your more personal picture, and you're about to leave. 895 words, good length. Hope your day was better than mine!

Song: YOUTH, Troye Sivan

~ Salem